Keg Connection New Inline Flow Control Valve Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is my kit too old to brew? Received in May
Old 09-29-2009, 02:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Is my kit too old to brew? Received in May

I purchase an Oatmeal Stout kit in May from Austin Homebrew. The yeast has been stored in the refrigerator since. However, the expiration date says September 2009. The malt and everything else has been stored in the dark, in a closet.

Should i still brew this? Should i purchase new yeast?

Any info is greatly appreciated....

Primary: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: True Brew Brown Ale
Drinking: True Brew Brown Ale, St. Arnold's Christmas Ale - Special batch released in July.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Liked 2899 Times on 1708 Posts
Likes Given: 3528

Well it's still september, and the year is still 2009, isn't it?

It'll be fine, especially since you had the foresight to store the yeast in the fridge.

If it's liquid yeast, just be sure to make a starter for it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew
Old 09-29-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
Liked 142 Times on 134 Posts

Dates on yeast are more of a "best before" date than an expiration date, but you can always make a starter to be certain.
Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk
Old 09-29-2009, 04:15 PM   #4
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed a wheat beer ealier this summer with a kit that was at least 3 years old. It came out good. A little darker than it should have been, but it tasted good. I did buy new yeast for it.

I'm sure you will be fine with using a kit that is "best before" this month.

I think the rule about dumping beer applies to "potential beer" too.