Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash WAY too low...screwed?

Old 09-29-2009, 12:34 AM   #1
theganda
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mash WAY too low...screwed?

So we put our strike water on the burner to get going and walked down the street to get a sandwich. When we came back, I was way over my desired 168 degrees so we let it cool. Finally when it got down we doughed in, but I never considered that a quarter of the water would have evaporated! The mash was 141, and 15 minutes later after getting a few gallons of hot water ready I got it up to 152 where i wanted it. Will the 15-20 minutes at 141 screw me up?

Old 09-29-2009, 12:48 AM   #2
WVbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

No problem at all.....continue as usual until conversion

Old 09-29-2009, 12:54 AM   #3
Kraghed
Recipes 

To quote Charlie Papazian," Relax don't worry, have a homebrew."

You should be fine. You were still in conversion range for fermentable sugars.

Here is a nice little chemistry lesson with a break down of what happens at any given temperature:

http://www.realbeer.com/jjpalmer/ch14.html

A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her.
W.C. Fields

Kegged: Russian Imperial Stout - Belgian Dark Strong - Vanilla Mead - American/Belgian Ale

Old 09-29-2009, 04:14 AM   #4
theganda
Recipes 

Great info. But unfortunately everything that could have gone wrong tonight brewing did and I think ended up with my first real failure (live and learn!). Everything was going ok until it was time to chill. Went to hook up my IC to our neighbors hose (tight college space, we have to share) and their landlord had turned their water off!!! Panicked, I put my 5 gallons in a bathtub with a ton of ice but after an hour and a half still was at 100. since my other roommates needed to shower, I just put it in the fermenter and stuck it in our fridge at its coldest setting. I pitched onto an old yeast cake, otherwise I would have pitched in the morning. And to add insult to injury, I missed my OG by 10 points!!! Time for some homebrew to ease the pain

Old 10-01-2009, 12:52 AM   #5
HossTheGreat
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theganda View Post
Great info. But unfortunately everything that could have gone wrong tonight brewing did and I think ended up with my first real failure (live and learn!). Everything was going ok until it was time to chill. Went to hook up my IC to our neighbors hose (tight college space, we have to share) and their landlord had turned their water off!!! Panicked, I put my 5 gallons in a bathtub with a ton of ice but after an hour and a half still was at 100. since my other roommates needed to shower, I just put it in the fermenter and stuck it in our fridge at its coldest setting. I pitched onto an old yeast cake, otherwise I would have pitched in the morning. And to add insult to injury, I missed my OG by 10 points!!! Time for some homebrew to ease the pain
At what temp did you take your gravity reading. If you did it while the wort was 100 degrees, you may not have been off as much as you think. Run it through a temp correction calc to see where you actually were.