bending freon lines back in mini fridge tips and tricks - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators & Keezers > bending freon lines back in mini fridge tips and tricks

Old 09-28-2009, 10:48 PM   #1
ekjohns
Recipes 

May 2009
IL
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

So being a poor grad student i will be buying a mini fridge for a kegerator conversion of craigslist for a good price but with one big problem! i cant be picky on size. I will for sure get something that can handle 2 cornys and a 5lb tank but cant drop the extra money for a sanyo. So it seems i can find a good size but will have to bend the freon tray at the top to the back of the fridge. Does anyone have any experience with this including tips and tricks to not pinch the line and ruin a fridge? This is what i got so far:

1. Let fridge full thaw and get it to room temp before you attempt anything
2. go SLOW!!

any others?

Old 12-28-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
CountThrashu1a
Recipes 

Aug 2011
Jewett City, CT
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekjohns View Post
So being a poor grad student i will be buying a mini fridge for a kegerator conversion of craigslist for a good price but with one big problem! i cant be picky on size. I will for sure get something that can handle 2 cornys and a 5lb tank but cant drop the extra money for a sanyo. So it seems i can find a good size but will have to bend the freon tray at the top to the back of the fridge. Does anyone have any experience with this including tips and tricks to not pinch the line and ruin a fridge? This is what i got so far:

1. Let fridge full thaw and get it to room temp before you attempt anything
2. go SLOW!!

any others?
I am looking to do the same thing soon.
Do you have any tips for me, did you end up bending the lines?
Thank you,
Matt

Old 12-28-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
kellanv
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Austin, Texas
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That is about all there is to it. You may want to figure out a way to fasten the tray to the back of the fridge in a non-destructive manner. On mine it tends to want to "spring" back against the CO2 tank and kegs. Also when purchasing, keep in mind the hump in the back for the compressor. It will have an impact on how many kegs you can really fit.

Good luck! Kegging has been one of the best investments I have made in homebrewing thus far.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:33 AM   #4
Dhruv6911
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Orange County, California
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

let it thaw, and do it in one slow bend. Make sure wherever you are bending it, there is enough space because if you have to move it back up chances are it will crack.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:17 AM   #5
bstux

Recipes 

Jan 2011
Charlotte, NC
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

When I bent mine a gradual arch was the best. The one place where I did start to over bend, I saw it starting to kink on the inside of the arch and stopped. A 3-4" diameter piece of pipe will make a good jig, to prevent over bending.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ferm...-table-290565/

Old 12-29-2011, 04:03 AM   #6
ClaudiusB
Recipes 

Dec 2007
El Paso, Texas
Liked 100 Times on 77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekjohns View Post
Does anyone have any experience with this including tips and tricks to not pinch the line and ruin a fridge? This is what i got so far:

any others?
Go to post #6
I used a high tech tool designed for the job

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/old-...-build-109071/

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Old 12-29-2011, 06:15 AM   #7
hmmmbeer
Recipes 

Feb 2010
Fairfield, California
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

When I first decided to keg this was my route as i already had a mini fridge, made the bend after getting it to room temp and using the can idea but also doing it in one fluid motion. As far as keeping the tray from springing back, I used the already existing holes that was in there to fasten it to the top... just screw it into the back (use small screws just in case there is tubes lurking back behind the plastic). One the note of this being the best investment for brewing, I'd say it is a tie with the cooper wort chiller... I cooled my last batch in 10 mins (6gal batch)Wish someone bragged about a wort chiller more when I first started... good luck!

Old 12-29-2011, 03:20 PM   #8
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

May 2007
Jersey Shore, New Jersey
Liked 1456 Times on 1107 Posts

I would also keep an eye out for a small 12 - 15 cf apartment style fridge. If you can find a free / cheap one they work nice, no tower req'd so cheaper yet!

Old 12-29-2011, 08:17 PM   #9
Heckle
Recipes 

May 2009
Hartford, Connecticut
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudiusB View Post
Go to post #6
I used a high tech tool designed for the job

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/old-...-build-109071/

Cheers,
ClaudiusB
Very nice tool you designed there. Must have been hard getting those exact specs though.