Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Repairing Chest Freezer for Ferm Temp Ctrl

Old 09-28-2009, 01:47 AM   #1
kdlo17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Repairing Chest Freezer for Ferm Temp Ctrl

Hey guys,

Background:
I bought a gigantic (maybe 20+ cu. ft. by the looks of it, but I don't know), 16 yr old chest freezer from craigslist.
Sears
Kenmore Model 253.9133580
The freezer's plugged into an analog temperature controller (the cheap one from morebeer) that is set to maintain the temperature inside at 65 F.

I have only brewed a Mr. Beer 2 gal kit. I was about to have my first real brew day when my chest freezer stopped working. I have very basic knowledge of fridge operation (from reading, not experience).

The Problem:
The first night I hooked it up, it sounded fine. The temperature warning light was flashing. I pressed it, but nothing happened. The freezer was producing a very loud, steady hum, so I was sure it was doing something. But when I checked on it the next day, there was an alarm sounding from the freezer. The temperature warning light was flashing as before. No signs of cooling. I still heard something running in the freezer, but it's very quiet compared to before. Maybe a major component like the compressor has failed.
I ran the freezer without the analog temp ctrl but the problem is the same.

I want to educate myself and try to make a good diagnosis. I want to be able to decide if I can fix it myself, hire a mechanic, or just find some other temp ctrl. Please point me in the right direction guys. Thanks!

Old 09-28-2009, 02:08 AM   #2
JKoravos
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Sorry to tell you this, but it sounds like your freezer is toast. I've heard some people have had success reviving their freezers by unplugging them for a few days then restarting them. You could give that a try, but if it's dead it's not worth repairing. It'll be cheaper to just buy a new one.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 51

FYI, for future reference when buying a used fridge or freezer ask the seller to plug it in before you go to check it out. It should be running and cold by the time you arrive. Sounds like the one you bought was dead on arrival. I doubt it would be cost effective to repair it. Also, that is a very old freezer and probably very inefficient. A more recently manufactured freezer will run much more efficiently and sometimes as much as 40% better or even more. It would not take long to make up the added cost of a new model.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
JKoravos
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Try to be as careful as possible when moving them, as well. Over the year of heating and cooling cycles, some internal components tend to get brittle. If it undergoes a lot of jarring during movement, those pieces can shatter. Also, try to keep it as level as possible. If you tilt it too much the coolant can get into places it's not supposed to go.