Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How much fruit?

Old 09-20-2006, 07:17 PM   #1
andylegate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How much fruit?

About how much fruit in general should you use during Secondary when making a fruit flavored beer? I'm talking pureed now. I know it will be different depending on your tastes, etc. But how many pounds per gallon are we talking in genneral?

Bottled and Waiting:
Cherry Wheat Ale #2
Ready to Drink:

Pumpkin Spice Ale
Cheesefood's Carmel Cream Ale
Chocolate Cherry Ale

Planned Batches:
Maple Ale
Past Batches:
Brewnet Brown
American Pilsner
Cherry Wheat Ale #1
Honey Ale

Old 09-20-2006, 09:26 PM   #2
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 90

It probably depends on the fruit. Some have more dominant flavors than others. Blueberry doesn't seem to last but I have a raspberry ale that I bottled in April that still has a pronounced raspberry flavor. I usually use somewhere around three or four pounds for the typical five gallon batch. I've not used less, but I suspect that if you go much lower you will be bordering on excessive subtlety. More than four pounds and you could forget that there is beer under there somewhere.

Old 09-20-2006, 09:53 PM   #3
andylegate
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM
It probably depends on the fruit. Some have more dominant flavors than others. Blueberry doesn't seem to last but I have a raspberry ale that I bottled in April that still has a pronounced raspberry flavor. I usually use somewhere around three or four pounds for the typical five gallon batch. I've not used less, but I suspect that if you go much lower you will be bordering on excessive subtlety. More than four pounds and you could forget that there is beer under there somewhere.
Yah, from what I've read here it seems to be 1 lb per gallon (again, acording to your taste preference). In meads it seems to be 3 lbs per gallon or more since they are suppose to be much more sweet then beer of course. What I want is a beer with a cheery flavor in there, not a cherry soda with a slight beer flavor

Bottled and Waiting:
Cherry Wheat Ale #2
Ready to Drink:

Pumpkin Spice Ale
Cheesefood's Carmel Cream Ale
Chocolate Cherry Ale

Planned Batches:
Maple Ale
Past Batches:
Brewnet Brown
American Pilsner
Cherry Wheat Ale #1