Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Trub in Secondary?

Old 09-24-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
Frank
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Trub in Secondary?

My honey porter was in the primary for about 10 days with a 1066 OG and when I racked to the secondary the FG was 1016. After 1 day in the secondary I noticed there is already about 1 inch of trub on the bottom of the carboy.

My plan is to leave it in the secondary for 2 weeks. Will sitting on this trub affect the flavor of my beer?

Old 09-24-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
mmb
FFS, really?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3402 Times on 3280 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Sitting in primary for three weeks wouldn't have caused any trouble, let alone sitting on the yeast in secondary. As a rule, I try to leave my beer in primary for about 4 weeks and then go straight to keg.

You'll find, as you spend more time on HBT, that many of us don't even bother with a secondary on most beer.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
mdwmonster
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

2 weeks shouldn't effect the quality of the brew. Some folks on here leave their beer in the primary for a month or so, then skip the secondary.

I'm wondering why you got that much trub. I usually get some, but not nearly an inch. Did you suck up a lot of the settled yeast when you racked to the secondary?

Whatever the reason, I don't think you'll have much trouble if you are only planning on leaving it in the secondary for two weeks.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
mmb
FFS, really?
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3402 Times on 3280 Posts
Likes Given: 230

S/He is getting that much trub because the yeast was still in suspension and wasn't done with the fermentation process.

Plan on moving out of secondary to bottling a few days after your Final Gravity readings stay constant and the yeast has flocculated out. Brewing is an organic process and usually doesn't fall into arbitrary time lines.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:42 PM   #5
bbriscoe
Recipes 

I have yeast in suspension well after my FG has stabilized. Do I need to cold crash to get it to clear? I don't have a beer fridge so can I just leave the carboy outside to crash overnight in the cold?

Old 12-09-2010, 02:45 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2885 Times on 1701 Posts
Likes Given: 3514

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbriscoe View Post
I have yeast in suspension well after my FG has stabilized. Do I need to cold crash to get it to clear? I don't have a beer fridge so can I just leave the carboy outside to crash overnight in the cold?
I never cold crash, as I mentioned in the other thread. I leave my beers in primary for a month or more and they are crystal clear.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-09-2010, 03:08 PM   #7
joeunc
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

+1 ,,just leave in Primary for 3 weeks to a month and let it be, then keg or bottle based on gravity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmb View Post
Sitting in primary for three weeks wouldn't have caused any trouble, let alone sitting on the yeast in secondary. As a rule, I try to leave my beer in primary for about 4 weeks and then go straight to keg.

You'll find, as you spend more time on HBT, that many of us don't even bother with a secondary on most beer.