Hair-brained sour plan - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Hair-brained sour plan

Old 10-28-2009, 11:23 AM   #11
wetherel
Recipes 

Sep 2009
San Diego

I had an crappy underattenuated autolyzed bottled wheat wine that I didn't know what to do with. I brewed a few more pounds of malt and watered the stuff down to around 8% and added WY Sour Mix + a bunch of dregs from sour beers + 8oz of maltodextrin and waited 6 months expecting the worse. It turned out very sour fruity and fantastic.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:58 PM   #12
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Pflugerville, Texas
Liked 108 Times on 62 Posts

A 10-11% ABV beer will sour with lambic bugs, just not to the degree of an 8% beer and not as quickly. Planning the cuvee de tomme clone we even consulted with Vinne at Russian River to make sure we were right about this. Consecration is 10.5% ABV and nice and sour if you have had it. He told us that the bugs are a LOT slower to sour the beer at this high of an ABV but they eventually do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 10-28-2009, 06:23 PM   #13
jkarp
Recipes 

Jun 2008
Elizabeth, CO
Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts

Good to know. These two are now tucked away in better bottles, both have fine pellicles, and I'm fully prepared to ignore them for at least a year.