Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > I'm making my first batch this weekend...

Old 09-23-2009, 09:18 PM   #1
misskortney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default I'm making my first batch this weekend...

I'm here to read, read, ask questions and read some more.

I am a beer lover at heart, but the grape vines in my yard just couldn't be ignored. I had said I would start beermaking this fall, but I'll be trying my hand at wine first.

This looks like a fantastic forum and I can't wait to dive in! Does anyone have any words of wisdom to pass on this afternoon?

Old 09-23-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
kanielb1
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What kind of grapes do you have??

Old 09-23-2009, 09:23 PM   #3
misskortney
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanielb1 View Post
What kind of grapes do you have??
They're seeded Concord. VERY sweet and delicious!

Old 09-27-2009, 09:20 PM   #4
misskortney
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Okay, I've got my beer kit and all of my winemaking stuff too... I'm about to get started! I have a couple questions:

A couple recipes I've read say I have to ferment the wine about 10 days, then rack, wait a week, rack again... Is this necessary? How many times should I be moving the wine before I bottle it? I understand that the process is different than beer, so maybe this is important, but I want to know what my best (i.e. easiest, most efficient) option is.

I didn't get a nylon bag to put my fruit in. It looks like I can strain the fruit out after fermentation. Is that true? Will this be okay or do I need to go back to the lhbs?