Keg Connection New Inline Flow Control Valve Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Can anyone describe the tast of a GF beer?
Old 12-16-2009, 05:12 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Just FYI - here is an email that I just sent to my sister and broether in law, about a G/F beer that I brewed up for them:

I have no idea if you've had any more since the party, but I have to say that I've really developed a liking for it. If it is still in the refrigerator, take it back out and let it sit in a relatively cool place. It will improve over time because of the active yeast, but in the refrigerator, the yeast will be inactive. I keep my beers near the kitchen window, but don't let them be exposed to light on a continuing basis (mine are boxed).

The changes that take place in home brewed beers are always remarkable. There is a saying among brewers that the best beer in any batch is always the last one, and the G/F beer is no exception. It has mellowed considerably, and the slightly bitter aftertaste that is characteristic of sorghum based beers has faded.

"Bottle conditioned" beers (all home brews and some expensive commercial beers) will always have some sediment. This one is no exception, so when you pour it, leave the last quarter inch or so in the bottle if you like a clearer beer. Drinking stirred up sediment will do no harm, but some people don't like the appearance. By the way, it's rich in vitamin B complex.

Enjoy - and there will be plenty here during the holidays - I will be happy to bring more over when you are entertaining.
This simple little G/F beer is becoming exceptionally good. 6.6 lbs of sorghum LME, four ounces of hops, honey primer and Safale 04 (or maybe 05 - I forget at the moemnt ahd don't have access to my records). I feel kind of bad that I am drinking it all up because I brewed it for my neice and nephew to enjoy. Starting now, I will switch to a pale ale and save the last G/F case for the holiday week when we will be having many family events.

Black Diamond Brewery

Think global, drink local.