Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Can anyone describe the tast of a GF beer?

Old 09-23-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
rshosted
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Can anyone describe the tast of a GF beer?

I was considering making a GF beer for my mother in law. I endear her to me by calling her a "wheat-tard". She really hates this. Maybe if I made her a beer she would rejoice in my beermaking-joke-making ability.... But I need to be able to drink it myself too?

TIA,
Ryan

Old 09-23-2009, 09:01 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 134 Posts

Sorghum-based beers tend to have a slightly sweet after-taste. I've had a few commercial ones and they all had it. I've also had a homebrew sorghum beer that was quite good. It was a Pale Ale on the high-side of the bittering scale.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 09-23-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I haven't heard much good about them. There was a big discussion about GF beers awhile back on the board. You might try searching for the original poster of that and see if he's figured out any good recipes.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 09-23-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've only tried 2, Redbridge and New Grist. They both left a residual sweetness in your mouth, but when you can't have a regular beer- that is acceptable. I prefer Redbridge to New Grist any day...just my .02

Old 09-23-2009, 09:49 PM   #5
KYB
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Commercial wise I had Bards Tale Dragons Gold and it wasn't bad. Like a BMC, except a little more flavor (sweeter).

My recipe had some sweetness, dryness from the roasted grains, and bitterness. Very different beer but my sister really liked it.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:48 PM   #6
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Sorghum beers tend to have a citrus taste.

I don't know about anyone else, but no two six packs of Red Bridge have ever tasted the same to me.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:03 PM   #7
beerocd
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Had a Redbridge - only way to drink it is to pretend you're in college and slam it down all at once. That way you only get the aftertase once. Actually had a 6-er of it. Still have one or two bottles around. Maybe david has a good point - if it was a highly hopped beer maybe it would be enjoyable.

-OCD

Due to recent economic crisis, stock market crash, budget cuts, and the rising cost of everything including taxes: "The Light at the End of The Tunnel" has been turned off.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:26 PM   #8
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3349 Times on 2289 Posts
Likes Given: 2115

I had a 6-pack of Redbridge and didn't think it was all that bad. I did not sit down and analyze it too much. Just curious what sorghum beer would be like. Seems that a good homebrewer could produce a decent variation with enough effort.
They're gonna send you back to mother in a cardboard box !

Old 09-24-2009, 11:00 PM   #9
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts

I have tasted most GF beers on the market, and made a few myself. Out of them, the only one I would drink voluntarily was the Deschutes GF Pale Ale. Green makes a pretty good Amber and Tripel though. These are beers where you really can't tell they are sorghum at all. Redbridge would be my choice out of the big production ones.

As for homebrewing one, you are only limited by having basically one base malt, and only using dry yeast. (White labs is debatable) So long as you plan on having your base be a little sweeter, you should be able to make something drinkable.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:30 PM   #10
Elfmaze
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

i prefered gleu-tard to wheat-tard