Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bad filter technique

Old 09-23-2009, 05:41 AM   #1
CouchFarmer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bad filter technique

I'm using a filter for the first time. Setup is the source keg is hooked up at 2 psi and piped through a filter to the spear-side of another keg. The beer was cold from being in the fridge overnight and had not yet been carbonated. Everything was fine until I left the garage for longer than I thought I would.

When I returned it had finished pumping the beer from one keg to another and was slowly pushing CO2 though the filter and bubbling up through the keg, producing a nice layer of bubbles on the top.

I've read that it's bad to aerate the beer as it produces staling reactions, but I did it with CO2 instead of air. I tasted it afterwards and it definitely had changed the flavor for the worse. My question is, is the flavor change temporary and I've just given it a head start on the carbonating process, or did I just "stale" the beer?

Old 09-23-2009, 06:27 AM   #2
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

CO2 is tasteless, and more importantly will not oxidize your beer (of course). If you noticed a change in taste it was due to something else in your process. In the future, instead of using a filter try gelatin finings. They are easy use, and will result in crystal clear beer in 1-2 days. IMHO, it's a lot easier at the homebrew level than mechanical filtering.

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 09-23-2009, 02:58 PM   #3
CouchFarmer
Recipes 

Part of the reason I'm wondering if something happened was that I did two batches back to back, the only difference being that I watched the second one and made sure it didn't foam up. The second one still tastes fine. I had "primed" the filter with water, then dumped the early mixture of beer and water to avoid watering down the beer.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:16 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1299 Times on 853 Posts
Likes Given: 35

You want to flood the filter and destination keg with CO2 before doing anything then there is no oxygen to worry about.