If you could only use 2 or 3 varieties of hops - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > If you could only use 2 or 3 varieties of hops

Old 09-23-2009, 02:22 AM   #1
bgburdman9
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Kettering, Ohio
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was thinking about ordering a couple pounds of hops off of hops direct. I dont really brew that much but I still think it would save me money if I ordered in bulk. If I cant use it all then I have some friends that can probably take some off me.

What varieties would you buy if you could only get 2 or 3 varieties for most of your brews? I am sure ill buy a few ounces locally when needed for certain beers.

I am pretty sure that Ill get centennial just because I want to make something similar to two hearted but i am not sure of the other 1-2 varieties to get.

Also wondering if you would get pellet or whole hops? And if anyone knows when this years pellets come available on hopsdirect.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:26 AM   #2
Rick500

Recipes 

Jun 2008
KY
Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

Amarillo !

Old 09-23-2009, 02:26 AM   #3
FlyingHorse

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Evanston IL
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Depends what you like to brew. EKG if you like English ales. Hallertau if you like german beers (also good for some Belgians). A high-alpha clean bittering hop for all-around use (Magnum).

My last order was a pound each of EKG, Target, Centennial and EKG.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:31 AM   #4
Bullbythehorns

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Lake of the Ozarks, MO
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

It all depends on the styles of beers that you like. If you want to do a Two Hearted, the Centennial is a must have. I like to keep Biermunchers Centennial Blonde on tap so that also includes cascade. The cascade is also used in EdWort's Haus Pale Ale.

For Hopsdirect price of $6.75 and it's universal use I also keep Willamette on hand. With the current prices, it sure makes it tough to decide, but it is nice to be able to buy 2 or 3 for the same price I've paid for one recently. Good luck deciding.
ON TAP: Dry Irish Stout, Epic Pale Ale Clone, BM's Cent Blonde, Blackfoot River IPA, Racer 5 IPA clone with homegrown hops, Oatmeal Chocolate Stout, Threee Floyd's Gumball head clone, Moose Drools Clone
ON DECK: Saison, Pliny the Elder clone

Old 09-23-2009, 02:44 AM   #6
bgburdman9
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Kettering, Ohio
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I meant to say what styles i brew in the original post. I do not brew any lagers at all right now so probably not any german style beer and probably not many belgian styles. Mostly beers with american hops and occasional english styles. \

Old 09-23-2009, 02:44 AM   #7
Pommy
Recipes 

May 2009
Auckland, NZ
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I wouldn't really know but Goldings have served me well so far. Also if you keep pellets in the fridge they should last for up to a couple of years as far as I know so it might be worth investing in enough to make a few brews since it will last a long time, better have someone confirm that though

Old 09-23-2009, 02:45 AM   #8
Buffman
Recipes 

May 2009
Aurora, Colorado
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd get a general bittering hops (I went with Galena) and a few fancy hops. Like another post said, though, it depends on the styles you tend to enjoy and make most often. If American ales, for example, go with Cascade and/or Amarillo. Buy what you like.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:45 AM   #9
J-ROD
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Knoxville, TN
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've got the same problem...I'm thinking Magnum, Willamette and Cascade.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:55 AM   #10
Scut_Monkey

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

I would recommend Cascade/Centennial, EKG, Saaz, Hallertau and Magnum for bittering. Obviously if you don't brew certain styles then these recommendations might exclude a certain variety. These varieties should cover most styles though.