Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Coconut Mead... I need help on this one.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
MarcJWaters
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Coconut Mead... I need help on this one.

I found the following website floating amidst the vastness of the World Wide Web.

http://www.hrbts.org/recipes/2008/ju...Mead3rdtie.htm

Now - depending on what type of Honey you use, it can range between 11.25 to about 12.10 pounds per gallon. I would be willing to say that 9 pounds is 3/4 of a gallon.

The stupid part is that this recipe mentions nothing of Coconut... leaving me to guess. The Pineapple seems like it will become a pina colada type deal - which is cool with me. However... What proportions?

A few things. I refuse to boil my honey. I think that alot of people get this wrong. Honey last so long on your shelf because it is too acidic for bacteria to live in. So, I am thinking I should add 3/4 Gallon of honey to 2.25 gallons of water. In the fermentor, add a pureed pineapple and 1 pound of toasted coconut? Let it sit in Primary and then leave it behind when racking into secondary?

Thoughts? Thanks all!

Old 09-22-2009, 11:26 PM   #2
Poobah58
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I did a coconut/lime mead back in April. Recipe and blog can be found on mead.com... I used 10.5#'s of honey in a 3.5 gallon batch. I also used fresh coconut and soaked the meat in rice water to make coconut milk. I then toasted the meat and added to primary. So far so good. I just had to add some dry coconut and extract because the flavor seems to dissipate after a few months. It's still aging... Good luck!

Old 09-23-2009, 06:06 PM   #3
claphamsa
Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

posting in the meade forum will get more responses... there are lots of very active people there.

and the recepie looks great

claphamsa on untappd