Dogs - Page 103 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Dogs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #1021
MMJfan
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Wooster, OH, Ohio
Posts: 831
Liked 68 Times on 55 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by HoppyDaze View Post
You're feeding that dog WAY too much. I have a lab that size that eats about two and a half cups total in a day. You're going to have one of those mega fat labs you see barely walking around.
Yeah, when I read that I was like, damn, my am I feeding my dogs enough? They get about 2 1/2 cups a day too and they are very fit and trim looking. Our rescue was skin and bones when we found him with his ribs showing through and now he looks as healthy as an ox. And they go for 4 mile walks with us daily as well. Five cups/day does seem like a lot for one dog...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:59 PM   #1022
Mike37
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Posts: 226
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts


Thanks for the food advice. I'm considering Earthborn Holistic. No recalls, grain free, great price, and highly recommended by all the dog food experts.

Here's a pic of Maya and Kou, my mom's Shiba Inu. Kou hated Maya at first but now they're pals.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3445391675.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	129624

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #1023
Jayhem
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Culpeper, VA
Posts: 2,640
Liked 279 Times on 225 Posts


Axel - 70 lb American Bully

Diesel - 20 lb Pug



Better shot of Axel
__________________
Next up: Amber Ale
Primary 1&2: 90 Min IPA clone
Primary 3&4: Belgian Wit
Keg #1: White Mosaic Pale Ale
Keg #2: Empty
Drinking: Amber Ale, White Mosaic Pale Ale

headbanger Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:53 PM   #1024
tre9er
 
tre9er's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,371
Liked 242 Times on 197 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJfan View Post
Yeah, when I read that I was like, damn, my am I feeding my dogs enough? They get about 2 1/2 cups a day too and they are very fit and trim looking. Our rescue was skin and bones when we found him with his ribs showing through and now he looks as healthy as an ox. And they go for 4 mile walks with us daily as well. Five cups/day does seem like a lot for one dog...
Me too. In fact, it might be closer to 1c morning and 1c night, depending on if the kids get the cup full or not. It's somewhere between 2-3c per day though. Damn dog acts hungry all the time but again, he's healthy, not emaciated. I attribute it to his time on the street. He's a scavenger, for sure. He'll eat lettuce, broccoli, kale, carrots, he'll eat the paper towel you wiped your mouth with, if you let him.

They found rocks in his stomach when he was rescued, so I guess I can understand. I can't give him bones very often because he eats them instantly. I'm serious, if you give him bones from a rack of ribs they're gone in under 2 minutes. Then he yacks them back up sometimes. We bought him those greenies for his teeth once. Lasted about 12 seconds.
__________________
_________________________________
Skal!
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #1025
headbanger
 
headbanger's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
The Hill, KY
Posts: 2,867
Liked 777 Times on 486 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem View Post
Axel - 70 lb American Bully

Diesel - 20 lb Pug



Better shot of Axel
Axel could be Dutch's twin brother.

Jayhem Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #1026
mikescooling
 
mikescooling's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,007
Liked 270 Times on 204 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by HoppyDaze View Post
You're feeding that dog WAY too much. I have a lab that size that eats about two and a half cups total in a day. You're going to have one of those mega fat labs you see barely walking around.
Wow tuff room, I'm working with a vet and doing what the bag of puppy food tell me. she is 6 months and 33lbs. She loves to run and I walk her twice a day. She is at the low end of what is normal. The first year is when they build their bone structure.
Click image for larger version

Name:	feed-chart-lp-puppy-chick.gif
Views:	157
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	129637  

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #1027
tre9er
 
tre9er's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,371
Liked 242 Times on 197 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mikescooling View Post
Wow tuff room, I'm working with a vet and doing what the bag of puppy food tell me. she is 6 months and 33lbs. She loves to run and I walk her twice a day. She is at the low end of what is normal. The first year is when they build their bone structure.
6 months and 33lbs. is 2-3c per day according to that chart...I don't know where you got the larger number??

I do know some of the natural foods recommend a much higher feeding, and I think it's due to lower fat/protein totals. Wife brought home Trader Joes brand food once and it wanted 3 feedings of 1-2c. per day. Dog was always hungry, like stalking me every time I went down to the basement...no bueno
__________________
_________________________________
Skal!
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #1028
PJoyce85
 
PJoyce85's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Mainz, Germany
Posts: 1,069
Liked 325 Times on 189 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er

6 months and 33lbs. is 2-3c per day according to that chart...I don't know where you got the larger number??
It's the bottom left portion of the chart. 5-6 cups a day for a 6 month old puppy that is expected to weigh ~100lbs when fully developed. 33lbs is the dogs current weight.

I read it too and was like, "Where the hell...?"

I just switched to BB Wilderness Chicken Formula as soon as I found out the BX carries it. Spendy, but a little less food per meal and less crap to pick up is nothing to complain about. Not to mention (hopefully) healthier dogs for the future. Mine are by no means unhealthy, but maybe less issues when they get older.

But, back to the thread. I don't know why, but she is always laying in these goofy positions. Makes me laugh...
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3341186420.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	129656  

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #1029
sweetcell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
sweetcell's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Rockville, MD
Posts: 5,144
Liked 981 Times on 710 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by PJoyce85 View Post
But, back to the thread. I don't know why, but she is always laying in these goofy positions. Makes me laugh...
my dog only does that when she is warm/hot. my theory is that she's exposing her non-furry belly, to aid with cooling. in winter, when it's cooler, she only sleeps curled up in a ball - to stay warmer.
__________________
What hops should I grow? Looking for cheap honey?
- Drinking: BPA made with ingredients from NHC, 2 blends of a rye sour: ECY20 + ECY34, local sour cherry kriek #2, brett'ed Belgian blond on raspberries
- Aging: Imperial Chocolate Milk Stout (half on coconut), sour blond on second-use cherries, English Barleywine (half on brett), 3726 saison w/ brett x2 (dregs mix & Lochristi), GNO 3724 saison w/ brett mix, sour cherry mead, acerglyn, and a few other sours...

CreamyGoodness Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #1030
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
TomSD's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
Lemon Grove, CA, CA
Posts: 1,361
Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
my dog only does that when it's warm/hot. my theory is that she's exposing her non-furry belly, to aid with cooling. in winter, when it's cooler, she only sleeps curled up in a ball - to stay warmer.
Harper is the same. You know it is hot out when he is laid out like a porn star on the kitchen tile, lol.
__________________

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dogs and gas beerfan General Chit Chat 24 01-10-2016 03:59 AM
F*kn dogs TXCrash Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling 6 04-20-2009 04:50 PM
Dogs & Hops Shonuff General Chit Chat 10 02-28-2009 05:07 PM
how do the BIG DOGS do it?? Jaybird Hops Growing 7 03-29-2008 02:42 PM
For The Dogs ... JustDave Cooking & Pairing 2 10-16-2007 10:42 PM


Forum Jump