Keg Connection New Inline Flow Control Valve Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > chocolate malt - 1 year later
Old 09-22-2009, 12:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default chocolate malt - 1 year later

I have an IPA that I brew that I put 3 ounces of chocolate malt in it for a little different flavor. The first time I brewed this, it was fantastic. I have tweaked the recipe and brewed it several times since. The 3 oz of choclate malt hasn't changed. However none of the batches after the first was at dark or chocolaty as the first time.

I drank a bottle the other day from last November ( the first go round). The hop flavor had given way to the malt profile ( expected). The chocolate flavor had turned quite roasty. I don't recall it being that roasty before.

Now I am wondering if the first time the grain bill had 3 oz of roasted barley instead of chocolate malt . I know I ordered chocolate, but that last bottle tasted so roasty and not chocolate.

How would chocolate malt taste with about a year of age on it? Would the chocolate flavor give way to a more roasty taste? Did the hbs put more than 3 oz in that first go around? I don't know, but would like some opinions.

recipe can be found here

You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel. - Homer Jay Simpson
Old 09-22-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I put 4 oz of it in my Amber and it is roasty not chocolaty. I have never gotten chocolate flavor in that amount from using it. But I never have put it in a IPA either. So with the lighter malts it might come through more chocolate than in my Amber.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:53 PM   #3
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What was the mash temp? I too have never gotten a chocolate flavor from chocolate malt, so maybe you mashed high??