Keg Connection New Inline Flow Control Valve Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > First secondary transfer
Old 09-21-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default First secondary transfer

So I'm a relatively new home brewer and Friday I did my first secondary fermentation transfer.

I had a couple of concerns. First of all my brew seemed to have a lot more activity early and then die out very fast. Within 12 hours it was bubbling extremely rapidly and by day 3 I had almost no visual activity. Is this something I should be concerned about. I just feel like I usually have a much longer period of primary fermentation.

Once I transferred to the secondary I had a small amount of activity for a couple more days. There are no bacteria that I can see and my taste test went ok.

Streamline Brewing Company
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa

On Deck: Apfelwein
Fermenting: Oatmeal Stout
Old 09-21-2009, 07:07 PM   #2
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

It could be slowly fermenting down just a little bit more, or it could just be releasing some CO2 out of solution. Pretty normal either way, because the racking process stirs things up a bit - especially if transferred to secondary after only a week or less.
"If you're gonna be an ape, be a hairy one" - Spyder

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Old 09-21-2009, 08:59 PM   #3
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Visual activity doesn't mean much - just that the yeast doesn't want you to see what its doing. Trust your hydrometer.
Furry Friend Brewery