How long is too long for Belgian Strong Ale (1.072) in Primary? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > How long is too long for Belgian Strong Ale (1.072) in Primary?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
redalert
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Linden, NJ
Posts: 352
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



Just wanted some feedback on how long do you guys keep your bigger Belgians in primary for? What was the longest and how did your beer come out?


 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:27 PM   #2
Arkador
 
Arkador's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1,702
Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts


Mine was 3 weeks (took 2 to hit final gravity)
then spent 4 more weeks in secondary, and 3 months bottle conditioning.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:43 PM   #3
redalert
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Linden, NJ
Posts: 352
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkador View Post
Mine was 3 weeks (took 2 to hit final gravity)
then spent 4 more weeks in secondary, and 3 months bottle conditioning.
How did it turn out? Would you have done anything different in hindsight?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:44 PM   #4
Brooklyn-Brewtality
Four Beasts Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Brooklyn-Brewtality's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Brooklyn
Posts: 2,278
Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts


i had a belgian dark strong in primary for 5 mos. once by accident. just forgot about it until right before Christmas. transferred it to a keg, carbed it, served it for the holidays. was perfect.
__________________
Kegged: Berlinerweisse, Dubbel, Galaxy Wheat
Bottled: Golden Strong, Mild, IIPA, Rauch
Fermenting: Saison, Imperial Wheat Stout, Brett Saison, APA, Brett Roggenbier

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:47 PM   #5
redalert
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Linden, NJ
Posts: 352
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker_Brew View Post
i had a belgian dark strong in primary for 5 mos. once by accident. just forgot about it until right before Christmas. transferred it to a keg, carbed it, served it for the holidays. was perfect.
5 months in primary?! and there was no yeast bite to the beer?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:48 PM   #6
JKoravos
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Chelmsford, MA
Posts: 1,203
Liked 74 Times on 55 Posts


Why do you ask? I take my beers out of the primary when they're done fermenting. Is there a reason you would leave it there for some extended period of time?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
jcarson83
 
jcarson83's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
Springfield, MO
Posts: 928
Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts


I've got a belgian blonde going in primary right now that's been there for 4 weeks and is still bubbling away.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:55 PM   #8
redalert
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Linden, NJ
Posts: 352
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JKoravos View Post
Why do you ask? I take my beers out of the primary when they're done fermenting. Is there a reason you would leave it there for some extended period of time?
Like any homebrewer I want the best tasting beer possible. From what I've read and inquired many seasoned homebrewers admitted to leaving big Belgians in primaries for 3-5 weeks. I have a 1.072 that's been in primary for 3 weeks.

-2 week hydrometer reading=1.011.
-3 week (yesterday) hydrometer reading=1.009

I was just wondering whether 2 let it sit 1 or 2 more weeks before I rack to secondary to condition further.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:29 PM   #9
JKoravos
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Chelmsford, MA
Posts: 1,203
Liked 74 Times on 55 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by redalert View Post
Like any homebrewer I want the best tasting beer possible. From what I've read and inquired many seasoned homebrewers admitted to leaving big Belgians in primaries for 3-5 weeks. I have a 1.072 that's been in primary for 3 weeks.

-2 week hydrometer reading=1.011.
-3 week (yesterday) hydrometer reading=1.009

I was just wondering whether 2 let it sit 1 or 2 more weeks before I rack to secondary to condition further.

Take a reading every few days until they stop changing. When it's steady transfer it, unless there are off flavors that the yeast need to clean up. There isn't any benefit to leaving it in there for 5 weeks if it's done in 10 days, if that's what you're asking.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:35 PM   #10
z987k
 
z987k's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2007
Anchorage
Posts: 3,518
Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JKoravos View Post
Take a reading every few days until they stop changing. When it's steady transfer it, unless there are off flavors that the yeast need to clean up. There isn't any benefit to leaving it in there for 5 weeks if it's done in 10 days, if that's what you're asking.
There's also no benefit in transferring it even if it is done in 10 days.


 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Left in primary too long, how long in secondary? BrownAle4Me Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 10-15-2009 07:54 PM
How long for a 1.070 Belgian in primary? redalert Fermentation & Yeast 4 09-19-2009 12:14 AM
Long and strong fermentation TheCrane All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 14 11-30-2007 08:27 PM
How long is to long for Primary Fermentation? Jwedel Extract Brewing 13 08-29-2006 04:14 PM
Long ferment, how long can it sit in primary? Lost General Techniques 2 11-23-2005 06:17 AM


Forum Jump