Hitting FG - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hitting FG

Old 09-20-2009, 11:16 PM   #1
ks_medic
Recipes 

Aug 2009
Kansas

I know patience is a virtue in beer brewing but its been 13 days and my FG is 1.026. The kit says i need 1.019. Seems kinda high for almost 2 weeks fermenting. I was unable to obtain a OG because i broke my hydrometer in sanitizing bucket.
The temp control on the fridge is set at 68 with 4 degree variation. Its a williams red ale and i used a wyeast yeast that i mixed in a 400 ml starter for 24 hrs prior to pitching. The sample i took tasted wonderful though. so should i take a few more samples next couple days and if no change go to secondary or wait another week to see if any drop ? Also i've been using the spigot to take the samples. I pointed the BB spigot up to collect from center of bottle. Also included some pics of my setup critiques welcome.

Reason: pics too large.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:35 PM   #2
Gremlyn

Recipes 

Mar 2009
San Diego, CA
Liked 29 Times on 19 Posts

Pull the fermentor out of the fridge, swirl it to kick up the yeast and let it warm up a little. Maybe the +/- 4F got down a little too cold for the yeast and the went to sleep.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:03 AM   #3
ks_medic
Recipes 

Aug 2009
Kansas

How warm should i let it get? should i just bump up the temp on the fridge and slowly warm it up. Room temp is 75-78 degrees.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:08 AM   #4
Julohan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Is it the fermenter on the right (carboy) you are talking about? Is it a 5 gallon carboy? If so, you look like you are pretty short.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:15 AM   #5
ks_medic
Recipes 

Aug 2009
Kansas

Its a 6 gal, carboy. Yeah its a little short, I didn't even think about marking lines on the bottle until i started filling it with wort. Doh! so i guesstimated.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:21 AM   #6
ks_medic
Recipes 

Aug 2009
Kansas

I found this a couple days later. 5 gallon mark on a 6 gallon Better Bottle. - HomeBrewTalk Gallery posted by SavageSteve Lol wish i would have found it earlier. By looking at that picture i'd say i'm about 1/2 gal. short. Think that will impact it much?

Old 09-21-2009, 03:40 AM   #7
Gremlyn

Recipes 

Mar 2009
San Diego, CA
Liked 29 Times on 19 Posts

I would let it come up to the upper cut off for the yeast's temp range outside the fridge, give it a swirl again, and put it back in and see how it does. Maybe bump the temp a little in the fridge for the rest of the time. Can you adjust the temp variation cut offs on your controller?

Old 09-21-2009, 03:46 AM   #8
LordHedgie
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Washington

Doing napkin math, guessing expected attenuation, etc., etc., I figure that your OG should have been around 1.067, give or take. Using a half-gallon less with the same amount of extract would put your OG around 1.074. With the same attenuation, your FG would be approximately 1.021. You're still fairly shy -- I concur with Gremlyn, I'd agitate a little and warm it a bit, and give it some more time.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:49 AM   #9
ks_medic
Recipes 

Aug 2009
Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlyn1 View Post
I would let it come up to the upper cut off for the yeast's temp range outside the fridge, give it a swirl again, and put it back in and see how it does. Maybe bump the temp a little in the fridge for the rest of the time. Can you adjust the temp variation cut offs on your controller?
I believe so. Not sure how. here is the fridge temp control i have. I just got it and i know how to set temp. i can set a variation of like +/- a few degrees. but I don't know how to specifically set high and low values.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewin...ontroller.html

Old 09-21-2009, 03:54 AM   #10
ks_medic
Recipes 

Aug 2009
Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHedgie View Post
Doing napkin math, guessing expected attenuation, etc., etc., I figure that your OG should have been around 1.067, give or take. Using a half-gallon less with the same amount of extract would put your OG around 1.074. With the same attenuation, your FG would be approximately 1.021. You're still fairly shy -- I concur with Gremlyn, I'd agitate a little and warm it a bit, and give it some more time.
I need to learn the math aspect of brewing. I didn't even realize how much of a difference 1/2 gallon would make. It still tasted pretty yummy so hopefully it should still come out good.