Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > All extract brew

Old 09-20-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
vsanchez949
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default All extract brew

Im about to embark on my first all extract brew. My question is, My recipe calls for an amber liquid malt extract and a wheat liquid malt extract. Which one should i add first or do i add them both at the same time? Do i wait for the hotbreak to occur the add the second one towards the end? Any help would be great. Thanks!!

Old 09-20-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
inspector13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It would be nice for the new guys, like us, to have good, complete, instructions.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
vsanchez949
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Haha... I mean, liquid malt extract.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:30 PM   #4
Grinder12000
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I really don't think it makes THAT much difference. I would add more then 1/2 at the beginning and the rest with 20 minutes to go.

138 batches and counting

European IPA bottled, One Putt 12 IPA carbing. East Indian Porter on tap. Looking into a Saffon Beer

Old 09-20-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
cobalt60
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Usually when I'm doing an extract batch, I'll add after steeping specialty grains (if any) and before it actually starts boiling. That way I get it dissolved before the pot gets too hot. Helps to avoid extract burning onto the bottom of the pot.

But, there's no reason to avoid adding some of it later (like at 30), and some advantages like lighter color and more bitterness extracted from the hops.

Personally, I boil the whole thing for 60 minutes.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:07 PM   #6
vsanchez949
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt60 View Post
Usually when I'm doing an extract batch, I'll add after steeping specialty grains (if any) and before it actually starts boiling. That way I get it dissolved before the pot gets too hot. Helps to avoid extract burning onto the bottom of the pot.

But, there's no reason to avoid adding some of it later (like at 30), and some advantages like lighter color and more bitterness extracted from the hops.

Personally, I boil the whole thing for 60 minutes.

Sounds good to me! Thanks for the info guys!

Old 09-20-2009, 05:44 PM   #7
Benjibbad
Recipes 

I would be careful, there have been some recent discussions on hop utilization. Essentially adding the other half of your extract later will cause you to have a more bitter beer than if you followed the original recipe. If you can do a full boil do it and if you can't follow the recipe. Just be sure to remove the pot from the heat BEFORE adding your malt and put it back once you have completely disolved the malt. Otherwise you can end up with scorching on your pot, and a burnt flavor in your beer.
Primary 4: Coastal Red
Primary 5: Empty
Secondary 1: Empty
Secondary 2: empty
Secondary 3: empty
Keg1: Cherry Lambic
Keg2: A-10 IIPA
Keg3: Crazy Cuban Monk (Cedrella infused Tripel)
Keg4: Kolsch weisen hybrid

Old 01-09-2014, 08:49 AM   #8
spaceyaquarius
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjibbad View Post
I would be careful, there have been some recent discussions on hop utilization. Essentially adding the other half of your extract later will cause you to have a more bitter beer than if you followed the original recipe. .
My Barley&Vine Shock-Top and Blue Moon clone kits both call for separating the DME additions, with 3 pounds Munton's Belgian DME just before the 45 minute boil, and the 2nd addition of 2 pounds Munton's Belgian DME just after the 45 minute boil (45 min. of the 60 minute boil of course in both cases).

If this results in a more bitter taste, this could explain why my batches are coming out way more bitter than I would ever want. I suppose I should just add all 5 pounds at once just before the 45 minute boil?

Would increasing the boil from 60 minutes total to 90 minutes total lower bitterness (because the DME and the hops are boiling longer and settling to the bottom of the stock pot)???

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/...psd2a9dbba.jpg

Looking at the image, it says that the IBU = 22. BeerSmith calls for Belgian Wits to be in a range of 10-20 IBU.