need help replacing propane regulator hose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xumbi

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

My turkey fryer has been left outside a few too many times, and I'm starting to worry about the condition of the hose. It looks like it's cracking in a few spots.

Here is the hose and regulator:

IMG_01731.JPG

You can see where I put electrical tape on some of the cracks.

I've looked at some replacement regulators and hoses online but I don't know how to tell if they would work.

Any help would be appreciated!

Edit: I checked out bayouclassicdepot.com, would these to parts do the job?

http://bayouclassicdepot.com/5235_propane_burner_part.htm
http://bayouclassicdepot.com/7906_propane_hose.htm

Look around for a place that sells and services propane systems. They can make you a new hose for very little money.

go to a local propane company, they will be able to take off your fittings and put them on a new hose.

+1 look around for a business. I had a stupid inline timer on my fryer that kept shutting off. I ended up going to a place in town that specializes in propane grills and gas fireplaces. They took off the timer and replaced all the fittings for 5 bucks in about 5 minutes.

What everyone else said plus never putting tape over a cracked gas hose and using it even for just one last brew which could be your last.

What everyone else said plus never putting tape over a cracked gas hose and using it even for just one last brew which could be your last.

I did the soap and water test and didn't see any bubbles, I just put the tape on to hopefully keep it from getting worse. I agree though, not the best solution.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I will call around to a few places today.

The regulator that you show is an adjustable pressure type and worth salvaging if it is still works OK. You only need to replace the gas line which as shown in the second link you provided. You should not need to replace the orifice shown in the first link.

I really like that regulator design, but they are also hard to locate. I replaced my Bayou Classic SQ-14 regulator with the adjustable one cannibalized from an old cheapo burner I got on a closeout sale. That combination works very well for me.

The regulator that you show is an adjustable pressure type and worth salvaging if it is still works OK. You only need to replace the gas line which as shown in the second link you provided. You should not need to replace the orifice shown in the first link.

I really like that regulator design, but they are also hard to locate. I replaced my Bayou Classic SQ-14 regulator with the adjustable one cannibalized from an old cheapo burner I got on a closeout sale. That combination works very well for me.

I just ordered the hose in my first post. Hopefully it will work, if not I'll just return it and order a new burner. Knowing that you have a similar regulator working with an SQ-14 is very encouraging, since that's the burner I'm thinking of getting :)

Thanks again to all, I'll report back with my success/failure story.

Just a follow up for anyone who may be interested.

I ended up canceling my order for that hose and picking up a new-in-box bayou classic (the 3066A model) off craigslist for $40. The hose itself was going to be over $20 shipped, so I figured this way I get an extra burner, stand and kettle for the extra $20.

It turns out that the regulator that came with this new fryer fits my current burner perfectly (the burners look almost exactly the same). So if I need to fix/replace this burner, or add another burner to my setup, I can order the same bayou regulator and hose.

I have a propane regulator and hose together on one piece. The nut on the other end of the hose that connect to the tank broke off. How can it be replaced without buying the whole piece again. Yes l know. I've learned not to go too tight

Latest posts

Back