Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Viking Blood

Old 09-22-2009, 11:29 AM   #11
hightest
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 7 Posts

I have tried both Viking Bold & Klapøjster Mjød by Dansk Mjød A/S. I found the Klapøjster Mjød more to my liking.

From the Danish website I found that the Klapøjster Mjød is made from honey, water, spices; and, in addition, they add brandy, which increases the alcohol content to 21.8% ABV (Viking Blod is 19% ABV) - mixing mead and brandy is an old Danish custom.

I was fairly certain that the Klapøjster "spices" was caraway seed (something the Danes are quite fond of), and decided to make a Klapøjster clone, which is now in its 33rd week of clearing. So far the taste is comparable...

Old 09-30-2009, 08:57 PM   #12
Don "Ho"
Recipes 

Would you be so kind as to share that reciepe? I have an empty 3 gal carboy needing to be filled.

Thanks

Don "Ho"

Old 10-01-2009, 03:20 PM   #13
dutchboy62
Recipes 

BrewsCampbell according to the website

http://www.bunitedint.com/portfolios...d/overview.php

they sell viking blod at premier gourmet in kenmore

Old 10-01-2009, 06:43 PM   #14
jkpq45
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The caraway metheglin "port" sounds great. I'd love to try my hand at it. Is the brandy added to stop fermentation at a certain spot and halt the yeast due to alcohol toxicity?

Thanks!

Old 10-04-2009, 09:05 PM   #15
hightest
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don "Ho" View Post
Would you be so kind as to share that reciepe? I have an empty 3 gal carboy needing to be filled.
Although I am hesistant to share an unproven recipe, I will as long as it is understood that what follows is a 1st-cut recipe with no guarantee as to its result (even though it seems to be be doing quite well...)

Hightest's Klapøjster Mjød Clone (3 gal) - OG 1.123
- 4½ lbs Wildflower honey
- 5 Lbs Alfalfa honey
- 2 gal water
- 5g potassium bicarbonate
- 1st stage nutrients (4.1g ea Fermaid-K & DAP)
Thoroughly mixed
- 8g R2 yeast (rehydrated IAW my FAQ, and then poured into the must, BUT NOT stirred-in)
- Add stage 2 & 3 nutrients IAW my FAQ (stage 2: 2.5g ea.; stage 3: 1.6g ea.)

After 14 days my must SG was 0.999 at which point I added 0.9g KMETA & 2.2g sorbate, another 2 lbs of alfalfa honey, and 3 tsp of crushed (fresh) caraway seeds [I buy them from Pensey's spices online]

Allow the must to rest for 2 months, then mix-in 0.125oz. hot-mix Sparkolloid that has been mixed into 230ml water (IAW my FAQ). Allow to rest for another 2 months, then rack onto 1 L 80 proof Christian Bros. brandy in clean 3 gal carboy to within 1 " of the bottom of where the carboy stopper would be. I estimate the final ABV to be 18.3%.

Allow to mellow for at least another 3 months - mine has yeat to be bottled. I may do it this December (the 5th month).

There you have it...

Reason: Correct Recipe title
Roninghost Likes This 
Old 10-04-2009, 09:10 PM   #16
hightest
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkpq45 View Post
... Is the brandy added to stop fermentation at a certain spot ...
No it is not - see above recipe...

Old 10-05-2009, 03:36 AM   #17
Don "Ho"
Recipes 

thanks hightest,
Still new at this, so all the different receipies/experminets help me understand what I can and cannot do..

I promise that I wont come back and haunt you if it doesnt work for me..

Will be starting mine tomorrow and will let you know how it works.

Thanks

Don "Ho"

Old 10-05-2009, 05:51 PM   #18
KCPyrate
Recipes 

Default Red Zinger Tea?

I haven't seen or tried this mead but it sounds great & I will be seeking it out.

If trying to clone the recipe I wonder if a similar hibiscus flavor could be accomplished by adding Red Zinger Tea which is made with hibiscus and brews tea of a red hue. I have seen and made meads that use other varieties of tea for tannin & flavor.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:15 PM   #19
Emerald
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCPyrate View Post
I haven't seen or tried this mead but it sounds great & I will be seeking it out.

If trying to clone the recipe I wonder if a similar hibiscus flavor could be accomplished by adding Red Zinger Tea which is made with hibiscus and brews tea of a red hue. I have seen and made meads that use other varieties of tea for tannin & flavor.
I have found dried hibiscus flowers in a local Mexican store- they use them quite a bit in some of the soft drink flavors and in some of the Mexican style frozen drinks. If you have any local Mercados I would give them a look too. While I have never bought it, it was not that expensive. Red Zinger tea is quite yummy and should do the trick too!

Old 10-05-2009, 07:40 PM   #20
ruger12pk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewsCampbell View Post
Ha! I came here just now for the sole purpose of asking if anyone had a clone recipe for this.

Viking Blod is delicious, albeit a bit pricey, but anyone who sees it should try it.

To quote a friend on his impression of Viking Blod:

"It has all the punch-you-in-the-face flavor intensity of a great cognac with a big honey hug, right at the end."

It says there's hops, honey and hibiscus in there. I'll be making a sample test batch this weekend. A two-gallon batch with 12lbs honey, a bunch of dried hibiscus flowers and a touch of orange peel and lavender. We'll see how it goes.

If anyone ever finds a way to clone this amazingness, please share, the world would be a better place with a clone recipe.
BC, with 12 pounds of honey in only a two gallon batch your asking for something FAR sweeter than I bet you want. Id take it to 15 pounds and us some KV-1116 yeast that should make it medium sweet and then with your other ingredients it should turn out awesome! But I think, personally, that 12 pnds is WAY to much for only 2 gallons.

later brother!!