Rhizome help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CFuggles

Reaction score
A co-worker gave me a few Liberty and Centennial rhizomes. I live in NJ and I know its weird time of year to get rhizomes.

What should I do to make sure these survive for next year? Plant them outside or inside? They are just a section of root with no leaves, looks like a carrot.

I was thinking plant them in a pot and see if I can get them going a little inside.

Baby them inside over the winter, and I mean baby, and then put them in the ground next spring. This will be your best bet and even this may not work. I don't see them lasting over the winter in the fridge and there's a slight chance that they'll make it if put in the ground now. Other than that act very excited about the gift and ask said CW if you could get some cuttings in the spring when you have a growing area and trellis built.

If you have several of both you could try both planting some & refridgerating some bearing in mind that they are designed by nature to last thru the winter mos. If that is done tho you'd want to mulch heavily first. There are a number of bulbs (much like a rhizome) which overwinter well when planted in fall such as Tulips, Crocus etc. You can also check out this address: ebrew.com/primarynews/hop_rhizomes_planting.html. You'll have to type that in, I'm not so tech savvy as to provide a link. Good luck

Ok thanks very much guys. I planted them in pots so they can hopefully get going a little before the freeze sets in. I will bring them in over the winter and try to build up the root systems.

Latest posts

Back