NanoBrewery build - Page 12 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > NanoBrewery build

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2009, 02:33 AM   #111
HBHoss
Chappell Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
HBHoss's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2008
Mariposa, CA
Posts: 8,220
Liked 125 Times on 123 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by OMJ View Post
What size batches are you planning on doing when you officially go pro?
I'll start with 10 gallon batches and go from there. I have the two 15 gallon Sanke fermenters and the pots on the 3 tier are all 15 gallon which will net about 13 gallons. 10 to sell and 3 to keep.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:06 AM   #112
defenestrate
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
defenestrate's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
edgewater, MD
Posts: 1,043
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


so do you have to get a health/sanitation inspection to come check you out?
__________________
(dē-fěn'ĭ-strāt') To throw out of a window.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:07 AM   #113
Orangevango
 
Orangevango's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
Posts: 596
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


This is interesting, but at 6 hours per batch and 10 gallons, figure on selling the sixtels for 80 bucks each (which is super expensive) you are getting 160 dollars per batch revenue. Take out the cost of running the brewery,ingredients, taxes, licensing.

You are not going to make any money to speak of.

I know in SC licensing costs 2000 dollars a year, which would come down to almost 20 batches of profit for you...
__________________
Visit my Hop Farm on Facebook

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:37 AM   #114
HBHoss
Chappell Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
HBHoss's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2008
Mariposa, CA
Posts: 8,220
Liked 125 Times on 123 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by defenestrate View Post
so do you have to get a health/sanitation inspection to come check you out?
No. They don't really care about that. I could be bottling road apples for all they care. As long as they get their tax money from it.

Scoones Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:44 AM   #115
HBHoss
Chappell Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
HBHoss's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2008
Mariposa, CA
Posts: 8,220
Liked 125 Times on 123 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangevango View Post
This is interesting, but at 6 hours per batch and 10 gallons, figure on selling the sixtels for 80 bucks each (which is super expensive) you are getting 160 dollars per batch revenue. Take out the cost of running the brewery,ingredients, taxes, licensing.

You are not going to make any money to speak of.

I know in SC licensing costs 2000 dollars a year, which would come down to almost 20 batches of profit for you...
License is very cheap here. My overhead is very, very low. 6 hours seems a long time per batch but this isn't going to be my main income, it's only a side gig for now. If it all folded right now I'd be left with a cool man-cave/brewery and not owing any bank or anything.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:51 AM   #116
NoisufnoC
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Cleveland, OH
Posts: 316
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


cool build thread. where would one obtain information about licensing in their own state?
__________________
Make Wort Not War.
My Blog || Fermentation Chamber Build
NoisufnoC is ConfusioN spelled backwords...now you know!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:27 AM   #117
Catt22
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Posts: 4,998
Liked 70 Times on 63 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by HBHoss View Post
If it all folded right now I'd be left with a cool man-cave/brewery and not owing any bank or anything.
I would be very impressed if you could squeeze any profit out of this venture at all. It's good to see you have a plan "B" lined up. I don't want to discourage you, but it doesn't pencil out well at all.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:35 AM   #118
ClaudiusB
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
El Paso, Texas
Posts: 1,350
Liked 99 Times on 76 Posts


Quote:
cool build thread. where would one obtain information about licensing in their own state?
http://tax.state.nv.us/

http://www.businesslicenses.com/Lice...License-48405/


Cheers,
ClaudiusB

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:41 PM   #119
ajwillys
 
ajwillys's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Holly Springs, NC
Posts: 1,296
Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts


I just wanted to chime in here because we are working on a similar brewery setup. Ours will be very slightly larger, but that is not the point. For us, there is a very strong allure to starting so small that failure is nothing more than a big disappointment. For me, the number reason *not* to open a brewery is because of the huge risk of failure if you drop 100K+ in equipment, location, etc... With the way me and my partner (and also HBHoss, it seems) are starting, there is very little risk of failure and little risk of wild success. Sure, we won't make much money (if any) per batch brewing at our size, the thing you have to remember is, if HBHoss gets tons of business and everyone wants his beer, it probably takes less than $1,000 and a week's worth of work to build out his system and quadruple his batch size. The important thing is that you're growing at the same size as your market, rather than starting at 10 BBL's and waiting 1.5 years for your market to catch up.

The other thing is that its just really cool to say you own a brewery!

This is looking great HBHoss! I'm really enjoying following your progress.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:03 PM   #120
HBHoss
Chappell Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
HBHoss's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2008
Mariposa, CA
Posts: 8,220
Liked 125 Times on 123 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwillys View Post
I just wanted to chime in here because we are working on a similar brewery setup. Ours will be very slightly larger, but that is not the point. For us, there is a very strong allure to starting so small that failure is nothing more than a big disappointment. For me, the number reason *not* to open a brewery is because of the huge risk of failure if you drop 100K+ in equipment, location, etc... With the way me and my partner (and also HBHoss, it seems) are starting, there is very little risk of failure and little risk of wild success. Sure, we won't make much money (if any) per batch brewing at our size, the thing you have to remember is, if HBHoss gets tons of business and everyone wants his beer, it probably takes less than $1,000 and a week's worth of work to build out his system and quadruple his batch size. The important thing is that you're growing at the same size as your market, rather than starting at 10 BBL's and waiting 1.5 years for your market to catch up.

The other thing is that its just really cool to say you own a brewery!

This is looking great HBHoss! I'm really enjoying following your progress.
I have a 7bbl system waiting for me once the need arises. I figure the IRS gives me 5 years to make money. If I break even or make a little money right now that's fine. Gives me a chance to refine my brewing technique and give the locals some good beer (hopefully).

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Bar Build brrman Equipment/Sanitation 77 08-22-2011 02:01 PM
Bar build indianaroller Kegerators & Keezers 55 04-20-2010 11:15 PM
Brew Stand - Build yourself or get someone else to build? Stevorino Equipment/Sanitation 36 12-23-2009 05:53 PM
HLT Build Benjibbad Kettles, Mash Tuns & Hot Liquor Tanks 16 06-18-2009 12:08 AM
Build a Wet Bar wildbill Equipment/Sanitation 5 02-28-2007 09:31 PM


Forum Jump