Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > NanoBrewery build

Old 10-02-2009, 02:33 AM   #111
HBHoss
Chappell Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMJ View Post
What size batches are you planning on doing when you officially go pro?
I'll start with 10 gallon batches and go from there. I have the two 15 gallon Sanke fermenters and the pots on the 3 tier are all 15 gallon which will net about 13 gallons. 10 to sell and 3 to keep.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:06 AM   #112
defenestrate

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

so do you have to get a health/sanitation inspection to come check you out?

Old 10-05-2009, 02:07 AM   #113
Orangevango
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This is interesting, but at 6 hours per batch and 10 gallons, figure on selling the sixtels for 80 bucks each (which is super expensive) you are getting 160 dollars per batch revenue. Take out the cost of running the brewery,ingredients, taxes, licensing.

You are not going to make any money to speak of.

I know in SC licensing costs 2000 dollars a year, which would come down to almost 20 batches of profit for you...

Old 10-05-2009, 02:37 AM   #114
HBHoss
Chappell Brewery

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by defenestrate View Post
so do you have to get a health/sanitation inspection to come check you out?
No. They don't really care about that. I could be bottling road apples for all they care. As long as they get their tax money from it.
Scoones Likes This 
Old 10-05-2009, 02:44 AM   #115
HBHoss
Chappell Brewery

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangevango View Post
This is interesting, but at 6 hours per batch and 10 gallons, figure on selling the sixtels for 80 bucks each (which is super expensive) you are getting 160 dollars per batch revenue. Take out the cost of running the brewery,ingredients, taxes, licensing.

You are not going to make any money to speak of.

I know in SC licensing costs 2000 dollars a year, which would come down to almost 20 batches of profit for you...
License is very cheap here. My overhead is very, very low. 6 hours seems a long time per batch but this isn't going to be my main income, it's only a side gig for now. If it all folded right now I'd be left with a cool man-cave/brewery and not owing any bank or anything.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:51 AM   #116
NoisufnoC
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

cool build thread. where would one obtain information about licensing in their own state?

Old 10-05-2009, 05:27 AM   #117
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBHoss View Post
If it all folded right now I'd be left with a cool man-cave/brewery and not owing any bank or anything.
I would be very impressed if you could squeeze any profit out of this venture at all. It's good to see you have a plan "B" lined up. I don't want to discourage you, but it doesn't pencil out well at all.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:35 AM   #118
ClaudiusB
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
cool build thread. where would one obtain information about licensing in their own state?
http://tax.state.nv.us/

http://www.businesslicenses.com/Lice...License-48405/

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Old 10-05-2009, 12:41 PM   #119
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I just wanted to chime in here because we are working on a similar brewery setup. Ours will be very slightly larger, but that is not the point. For us, there is a very strong allure to starting so small that failure is nothing more than a big disappointment. For me, the number reason *not* to open a brewery is because of the huge risk of failure if you drop 100K+ in equipment, location, etc... With the way me and my partner (and also HBHoss, it seems) are starting, there is very little risk of failure and little risk of wild success. Sure, we won't make much money (if any) per batch brewing at our size, the thing you have to remember is, if HBHoss gets tons of business and everyone wants his beer, it probably takes less than $1,000 and a week's worth of work to build out his system and quadruple his batch size. The important thing is that you're growing at the same size as your market, rather than starting at 10 BBL's and waiting 1.5 years for your market to catch up.

The other thing is that its just really cool to say you own a brewery!

This is looking great HBHoss! I'm really enjoying following your progress.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:03 PM   #120
HBHoss
Chappell Brewery

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwillys View Post
I just wanted to chime in here because we are working on a similar brewery setup. Ours will be very slightly larger, but that is not the point. For us, there is a very strong allure to starting so small that failure is nothing more than a big disappointment. For me, the number reason *not* to open a brewery is because of the huge risk of failure if you drop 100K+ in equipment, location, etc... With the way me and my partner (and also HBHoss, it seems) are starting, there is very little risk of failure and little risk of wild success. Sure, we won't make much money (if any) per batch brewing at our size, the thing you have to remember is, if HBHoss gets tons of business and everyone wants his beer, it probably takes less than $1,000 and a week's worth of work to build out his system and quadruple his batch size. The important thing is that you're growing at the same size as your market, rather than starting at 10 BBL's and waiting 1.5 years for your market to catch up.

The other thing is that its just really cool to say you own a brewery!

This is looking great HBHoss! I'm really enjoying following your progress.
I have a 7bbl system waiting for me once the need arises. I figure the IRS gives me 5 years to make money. If I break even or make a little money right now that's fine. Gives me a chance to refine my brewing technique and give the locals some good beer (hopefully).