Weird question about yeast and oxygen - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Weird question about yeast and oxygen

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2009, 03:59 PM   #1
AdamCanFly
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Dallas, TX
Posts: 147
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



I'm new to the hobby and have done a fair amount of research, but still have a lot to learn. I'm on brew #2 and really enjoying it.
Heres my question. I've read that yeast requires oxygen to live, breed, and ferment. If thats the case, then why do we lock them in and air tight container? Wouldn't it be better to provide them with an oxygen rich environment? When I say that I realize that would be very hard to do, and avoid infection.

Humor me here. Lets say we have a room that is completely sterile, and a fermenter right in the middle. Now lets say that fermenter is a contraption that keeps the wort very aerated. Wouldn't the yeast go crazy and ferment a lot quicker?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:05 PM   #2
EuBrew
 
EuBrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Columbus, OH, Ohio
Posts: 610
Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamCanFly View Post
I'm new to the hobby and have done a fair amount of research, but still have a lot to learn. I'm on brew #2 and really enjoying it.
Heres my question. I've read that yeast requires oxygen to live, breed, and ferment. If thats the case, then why do we lock them in and air tight container? Wouldn't it be better to provide them with an oxygen rich environment? When I say that I realize that would be very hard to do, and avoid infection.

Humor me here. Lets say we have a room that is completely sterile, and a fermenter right in the middle. Now lets say that fermenter is a contraption that keeps the wort very aerated. Wouldn't the yeast go crazy and ferment a lot quicker?
If you want to drop 20 grand on a sterile room and maintain it knock yourself out.

I just bucked up 50 bucks for an oxygenation system and it works great
__________________
Primary 1: empty
Primary 2: empty
Primary 3: empty
Secondary 1: empty
Secondary 2: empty
Secondary 3: empty

Kegged: Nada
Bottled Nada

Planned: Sierra Nevada Celebration clone
CBC Bodhi IPA



I may be naive but I make up for that with inexperience!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
AdamCanFly
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Dallas, TX
Posts: 147
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by EuBrew View Post
If you want to drop 20 grand on a sterile room and maintain it knock yourself out.

I just bucked up 50 bucks for an oxygenation system and it works great
So your saying it would work? Would it make the yeast do their job quicker?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:26 PM   #4
rsmith179
 
rsmith179's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Cleveland, OH
Posts: 934
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Pumping the wort full of oxygen before pitching allows the yeast to use this oxygen to reproduce to the levels needed to ferment your batch. After this, it is essential to keep your batch away from oxygen as much as possible. Introducing oxygen after the start of fermentation can cause oxidization in your final product, resulting in off-flavors.

One thing to think about regarding open fermentation vessels is that they are not really "exposed" to oxygen like you'd think. There's going to be a layer of CO2 over the beer keeping the oxygen out of the batch. Open fermentation by no means introduces oxygen to the beer in the same way using an air stone would.
__________________
"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:30 PM   #5
PseudoChef
 
PseudoChef's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2007
West Chicago 'Burbs, IL
Posts: 3,406
Liked 110 Times on 81 Posts


S. cerevisiae are actually very unique in that they function both aerobically (reproduction) and anaerobically (fermentation). During this latter process, you do not want to introduce oxygen in the system.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:37 PM   #6
david_42
 
david_42's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Posts: 25,597
Liked 155 Times on 145 Posts


Quote:
I've read that yeast requires oxygen to live, breed, and ferment.
No
Yes
No

As PseudoChef says, with oxygen you get growth, without it you get beer.
__________________
Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:13 PM   #7
Schnitzengiggle
 
Schnitzengiggle's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,560
Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef View Post
S. cerevisiae are actually very unique in that they function both aerobically (reproduction) and anaerobically (fermentation). During this latter process, you do not want to introduce oxygen in the system.
+1 perfect simplified explanation!
__________________
follow me @ Broken Glass Brewery

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:17 PM   #8
HairyDogBrewing
 
HairyDogBrewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Mechanicsburg, PA
Posts: 571
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


The main thing is that when there is oxygen, the yeast will not produce alcohol.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:43 PM   #9
iparks81
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
North Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 567
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


so let me get this strait, starting off with a good airated batch will promote good growth of the yeast, but less alcohol in the brew.
or not airating the batch and letting the yeast ferment normally and produce more alcohol....or did i misunderstand somthing

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:34 PM   #10
LordHedgie
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Washington
Posts: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by iparks81 View Post
so let me get this strait, starting off with a good airated batch will promote good growth of the yeast, but less alcohol in the brew.
or not airating the batch and letting the yeast ferment normally and produce more alcohol....or did i misunderstand somthing
Close. You want aerated wort, so the yeast will reproduce. Eventually the oxygen runs out, and your now large quantity of yeast will ferment. If you didn't aerate, you won't have enough yeast to ferment the beer fully, and if you continuously aerated you would produce a lot of yeast but probably not much alcohol.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
yeast, oxygen, growth, and fermentation mandoman Brew Science 25 06-09-2009 06:31 PM
Why do yeast need oxygen? CaptainSwiller Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 05-06-2009 01:53 AM
Weird Yeast Question CiderRat Cider Forum 4 10-14-2008 07:43 PM
Yeast Cake and oxygen Zack General Techniques 9 08-01-2008 04:47 PM
dumb noob yeast v- oxygen question Poindexter General Techniques 4 10-30-2007 06:56 PM


Forum Jump