Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chillers and Stir Plates > Big Daddy Immersion Chiller (50' x 5/8")

Old 09-18-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1301 Times on 855 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default Big Daddy Immersion Chiller (50' x 5/8")

I've used a counterflow and a plate chiller and wanted to try out the recirculating IC design just to round out my chiller experience. I wanted something adaptable for 5 or 10 gallons but leave some room to grow for up to 20 gallons if I went that way.

This is coiled around a pinlock keg and therefore the outside diameter of the coil is about 11", just right for getting into my keggle opening. It would have been one coil taller but I hacked off 3' of tubing for my wort return piece which isn't built yet.

Of course, I ordered the copper from coppertubingsales.com and it was $60 plus 20 shipping. I went with the 5/8" because it was only $15 more than 1/2". I was surprised I was actually able to coil it without any help. The key was using a clamp to hold the top of the coil to the corny and I let the rest of the coil just sit on a piece of carpet. The keg sits in the loose center of the coil and you just wort it around.

Just like in my video tutorial on the IC build, I used 90 degree elbow connectors to get the uprights and horizontal in/out bends nice a tight. The main upright is also tack soldered to one of the coils about half way up and the two uprights are also tacked for stability.

The garden hose in/out connectors are brass GH male to 1/2" NPT and GH female to 1/2" NPT. It just worked out that the ID of 1/2" threaded fittings is 5/8". Nice press fit and then some solder.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
FishinDave07
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So when could i get mine . Very nice design, let us know how it is in action.

Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Old 09-18-2009, 01:03 PM   #3
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 823 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 15

As I often say, if something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing! That is truly industrial beauty.

I imagine the neighborhood water pressure dropping drasticly when you valve that thing open, all those neighbors w/ shampoo in their hair and showers barely trickling. You gonna connect that thing at the house or the nearest hydrant?

Old 09-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #4
Brooklyn-Brewtality
Four Beasts Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

that is one big shiny IC. you going to do straight water, or recirc ice water?

Old 09-18-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
EuBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Beautiful as always Bobby_M. And the obligatory I hate you
Secondary 1: empty
Secondary 2: empty
Secondary 3: empty

Kegged: Nada
Bottled Nada

Planned: Sierra Nevada Celebration clone
CBC Bodhi IPA

I may be naive but I make up for that with inexperience!!

Old 09-18-2009, 01:15 PM   #6
s3n8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I will be curious to hear your cooling times with 5/8. I used your 90 degree elbow trick and soldered barb fittings when I built my 50 x 1/2 chiller. I also stripped a couple feet of 14 ga romex, and weaved a strand in and out of the coils, and tacked every third coil or so. I did 3 strands (every 120 degrees) and it is very rigid. Not sure if the 5/8" is as floppy as the 1/2" but I think it helps hold the shape, and helps keep the spacing between coils.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:26 PM   #7
Jaysus
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Nice work!

Old 09-18-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
hcarter
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That is really nice. I have zero skills like that. I'm jealous. Very nice though!
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/how-...ctorial-76101/

Old 09-18-2009, 02:14 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1301 Times on 855 Posts
Likes Given: 35

5/8" is just big enough to really hold firm but tacking one or a few of the coils to the upright really makes the difference.

I'll use it with straight tap water for most of the year unless I'm doing a lager, then I'd probably throw my spare sump pump into a bin of icewater towards the tail end of the chill.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:15 PM   #10
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

It looks nice and beefy! I tried tacking the upright copper to the coils when I built mine but could not get it to hold. Now I have it held together with polyester cable ties and it's not very professional looking. Maybe I'll try tacking it again when I get time. Thanks for the pics.