Belgian Tripel Belgian Trippel (2006 World Beer Cup Gold Medal: Dragonmead Final Absolution clone) - Page 13 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Belgian Tripel Belgian Trippel (2006 World Beer Cup Gold Medal: Dragonmead Final Absolution clone)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2010, 10:26 PM   #121
IowAve
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Posts: 45

How cold are you talking? I'm worried about this carbing in time for Thanksgiving. I have it at 68-70 degrees. I havn't had any carbing problems before, but this is my first high gravity beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:01 AM   #122
erics84
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
reno
Posts: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowAve View Post
How cold are you talking? I'm worried about this carbing in time for Thanksgiving. I have it at 68-70 degrees. I havn't had any carbing problems before, but this is my first high gravity beer.
My house was 60 during the carb period... my house is 55 now... I think I need to suck up and turn the heat on or rig something up

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:28 PM   #123
Grasslands
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Tallanasty, FL
Posts: 330
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Just bottled on Tuesday of this week - came in with a FG of 1.010 with a very prominent banana taste/aroma. Can't wait to see how this sucker plays out.
__________________
GrassLands craft brewery-in-planning has a website!! All kinds of Awesome! Check it, son!

GrassLands Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:32 PM   #124
FBSmith2000
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Ohio
Posts: 8
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Is Pilsner Light and Light LME the same thing?

Extract:
3 x 3.3lbs Pilsner Light malt extract LME
1 x 1lbs Amber DME
1 x 1.5lbs Belgian Candy
12.4 total pounds of fermentables

Hops: (IBU came out at 23 but you can range from 20 to 25)
2 oz. German Hallertau 3.8%AA 60min
1 oz. Styrian Goldings 3.4% AA 30min
1 oz. Saaz 2.8% AA 3min

Yeast:
2 x WLP500 Trappist Ale Yeast

Notes:[/QUOTE]

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:07 PM   #125
IowAve
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Posts: 45

I could wait no longer and cracked open my first bottle today. What a great brew. Medium-light carbonation, minimal head, burnt orange color. Bananas, spice, and strong yeast yeast note in the nose. The taste confirms the yeast and banana aroma a good hint of alcohol warmth in the finish; pretty well balanced over all. I think another month will do this beer wonders (if I can wait that long). Its not as dry as I would have expected.

Definitely looking to brew this again. Probably partial mash. I may shoot for over 9% ABV on the next and look to add a little head retention.

Great recipe, Thanks!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:33 PM   #126
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
sudbuster's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
Western Arkansas
Posts: 4,026
Liked 280 Times on 217 Posts


Looks like this was your inspiration By Chrie Frey. Most of us try to give credit to the authors for the all grain recipes. Congrats for your extract version. The all grain version is excellent, especially with WL1214. Cheers...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:28 PM   #127
Grasslands
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Tallanasty, FL
Posts: 330
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by IowAve View Post
I could wait no longer and cracked open my first bottle today. What a great brew. Medium-light carbonation, minimal head, burnt orange color. Bananas, spice, and strong yeast yeast note in the nose. The taste confirms the yeast and banana aroma a good hint of alcohol warmth in the finish; pretty well balanced over all. I think another month will do this beer wonders (if I can wait that long). Its not as dry as I would have expected.

Definitely looking to brew this again. Probably partial mash. I may shoot for over 9% ABV on the next and look to add a little head retention.

Great recipe, Thanks!
I'm experiencing the same feelings regarding my green batch right now. I'm itching to just taste what it has the potential to become. After only a week and a half since bottling, I'll let everyone know. I have no qualms yielding to my noobism desires.

__________________
GrassLands craft brewery-in-planning has a website!! All kinds of Awesome! Check it, son!

GrassLands Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:04 PM   #128
recentlyenlightened
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
littleton, colorado
Posts: 6

Excuse me for my ignorance, but is there any schedule to adding the extract, or is it just all at once

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:20 PM   #129
IowAve
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Posts: 45

Once you have your water to a boil remove from heat and add all the extract and mix thoroughly to prevent any scorching on the bottom of the pot. Once all the extract dissolves return it to the the heat and bring to a boil for about 5 min before starting your hops schedule. Good Luck!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:42 PM   #130
Grasslands
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Tallanasty, FL
Posts: 330
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by IowAve View Post
Once you have your water to a boil remove from heat and add all the extract and mix thoroughly to prevent any scorching on the bottom of the pot. Once all the extract dissolves return it to the the heat and bring to a boil for about 5 min before starting your hops schedule. Good Luck!
Or....

you can add a 1/3rd of your extract at the point IowAve states and then the remaining extract toward the end of the boil. Supposedly it removes some of the "extract twang" taste All Grain brewers complain about. I've done it that way right up until I went AG.
__________________
GrassLands craft brewery-in-planning has a website!! All kinds of Awesome! Check it, son!

GrassLands Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NHC Gold Medal GrogNerd South East Homebrew Forum 1 06-16-2015 04:43 PM
Saison Voltairine (Saison, Gold medal 2013 VA Beer Blitz) Qhrumphf Homebrew Ale Recipes 6 12-09-2013 10:19 PM
My First Gold Medal!!!! BarleyWater General Chit Chat 10 10-04-2008 03:17 AM
2006 World Beer Cup RichBrewer General Beer Discussion 4 04-17-2006 05:56 PM
World of Beer 2006, MILWAUKEE, Wi Pumbaa Great Lakes Homebrew Forum 0 02-27-2006 05:51 AM


Forum Jump