Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Things I learned going from Home to Nanobrewer...

Old 09-01-2012, 06:15 AM   #131
Phunhog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 80

I believe he uses LP for heat...thought he made mention of having to refill tanks.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #132
Gordie
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 9 Posts

Hey everyone. For heat I'd been using propane, but recently had an adjustable tankless water heater installed (which I hacked to put out heat up to 180 deg if I want) so my propane use is way way down. In terms of costs per bbl for materials and propane and whatnot is about $85 per bbl. I, and most folks, sell a 5g keg for an average of $65, which brings gross revenue to $390 per bbl. Gross profit is $305 and gross margin for this example is 78%, and is generally around 70% - 80% depending on the brew.

Kevin.McGee@HealdsburgBeerCo.com

Old 09-06-2012, 01:06 AM   #133
bellmtbbq
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Awesome! Just read this whole thread. Sounds like you have the perfect situation for a nano regarding location, zoning, kegging, etc. That sounds like a pretty solid profit margin, I'm surprised you can charge $65 for a 5 gallon keg when I have read many bars won't deal with you if you sell 1/2 bbl kegs for over $125. Distributors makes it even worse, I guess. But cheers to you and what a success story!

Old 10-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #134
grimstuff
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 49

sorry, didn't read the entire thread, but do you sell any bottles anywhere? I know Big John's carries a lot of local brews, but last time I was there I hadn't heard of your operation so didn't look for it...

Old 10-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #135
ktraver97ss
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Subscribed. Congratulations on your successes! I turned my hobby of detailing cars into a business 5 years ago and am considering selling it and starting a nano. We already brew 30 gallons, just need to get a place and fermentors really. Thanks for the inspiration!
Kegged/bottled #1-Nut Brown #2-American Wheat IPA #3-Templetons Rye Barleywine #4-Belgian Wheat Wine #5-Belgian Wit

Old 10-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #136
Gordie
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 9 Posts

Nope - not bottling. Draft only. Watch for it at Healdsburg Bar & Grill, Bergamot Alley, Sprenger's, Heritage Public House, Beer Revolution and a few other venues...

Kevin.McGee@HealdsburgBeerCo.com

Old 12-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #137
balto charlie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Well done man!! Wasn't thinking about Nano-brewing but you do make it look interesting.
Maryland has just passed laws where a farm can be treated like a winery if they grow part of the components of the beer on site. It is called the Maryland On Farm Brewery Law. Here's a link
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/201...eer-production

It will be interesting to see if they produce good beers. Growing hops is way different from brewing good beer. It is learning the brewing trade in reverse. At least it gives another venue for Nano-brewers to sell their wares. Perhaps it is time to buy a small farm in Maryland and start brewing. I wondered if they would consider my fridge a yeast farm
PrimarySessions IPA
On Deck Kate RIS clone, Dales Pale Ale Clone, Belgian Dubbel, IPA, Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Capn_Bill Likes This 
Old 12-31-2012, 12:14 PM   #138
mlsuggs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by balto charlie View Post
Maryland has just passed laws where a farm can be treated like a winery if they grow part of the components of the beer on site. <snip>
Perhaps it is time to buy a small farm in Maryland and start brewing. I wondered if they would consider my fridge a yeast farm
It's something I'm contemplating for a few years down the line... I got the farm this summer, and I've got some barley planted (very small test plots). I'll get my hops in the ground come spring. I'm deciding whether to put in another well for my brewing, or rely on rainwater catchment (leaning towards the latter). And I've thought about trying to "capture" a yeast strain locally.

I figure that even if I don't eventually go pro, it'll be interesting to brew something from completely "home-grown" ingredients...

Cheers!

--Misha
Old 10-19-2014, 01:46 AM   #139
Washroom_Attendant
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hey Gordie,

Very interesting read two years ago. How about an update? How are you doing?

Thanks

Old 10-20-2014, 02:52 PM   #140
tmccoy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Gordie,

Going to repeat what most people have said on the thread, very inspiring as someone who wants to do something like this at some point. Also, I go up to Windsor a couple times a month for work. Do you have an updated list of places where I can get your beer? I know it's been a few years.