Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bubbling question (not a Q about fermentation, though)

Old 09-17-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
heywolfie1015
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Bubbling question (not a Q about fermentation, though)

I'm doing my first batch with a blow off tube and noticed that it seems to bubble less at the same point in fermentation than the previous two batches I did with an airlock. My thinking is that the greater size of the tube requires more CO2 production and so just has a slower bubbling rate. Of course, I could just be talking out of my *ss here...

Curious to see if other people ever noticed the same thing?

Old 09-17-2009, 03:29 PM   #2
Arkador
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Your beer will ferment at different rates depending on many variables..
*Yeast used
*Starting gravity
*temprature
just to name a few

Your blowofftube size may be responsible for what you are seeing. remember, Airlock/blowoff activity is NEVER an indication of fermentation.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:36 PM   #3
heywolfie1015
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Yeah, I've been thinking about those variables as well. I'm not worried about fermentation, just find the difference interesting. Previous two were a pale ale and a wit, both with OGs around 1.045. This one is a Belgian with an OG (if I read it right) up in the 1.09s. All starting temps have been about the same, but the yeast has obviously been different each time. This time, I also made a starter and pitched an extra smack pack. Previous two were, respectively, an unrehydrated dry pack and a smack pack with no starter. I was sort of expecting this one to start foaming out the tube by the end of Day 1.