Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Corona bottle labels
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2009, 12:32 AM   #1
jcannon46609
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 23
Default Corona bottle labels

Hi Everybody,
I just bought bunch of beer making stuff from guy on Craigslist who also gave me nearly 200 bottles as well. The problem is that they are Corona bottles and I have no idea how to get the labels off. I have scrubbed the crap out of them but nothing is coming off. I really do not want to throw so many bottles out if I can use them.


jcannon46609 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:42 AM   #2
skaz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Glendale AZ
Posts: 9
Default

I've read about Corona labels being hard to remove, but for bottles I've cleaned so far a soak in soapy warm water for anywhere from a few hours to 24 hours followed up with a scouring pad is a great way to remove labels.


skaz is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:46 AM   #3
slowashell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3
Default

ive tried and failed as well, even a razor did not work. i ended up just slaping a label over the top of it.
slowashell is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:47 AM   #4
JLem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Attleboro, MA
Posts: 3,648
Liked 176 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

never used Corona bottles, but a soak in Oxyclean works AMAZING on everything else I've used - 90% of the labels just end up floating off on their own, the other 10% peel right off.
__________________
My Hombrewing Blog

My Beer Cellar
JLem is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:48 AM   #5
Chumley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Madison
Posts: 42
Default

Try starsan, check out this thread.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/anot...starsan-32159/
Chumley is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:56 AM   #6
Macushla-Homebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Burlington, VT
Posts: 25
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Yeah I use Oxiclean however I don't use corona bottles - they are clear and unless you are carbing and bottle conditioning in a dark place your beer could get off flavors due to light exposure or so ive read.
Macushla-Homebrew is offline
wolfstar Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:59 AM   #7
JLem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Attleboro, MA
Posts: 3,648
Liked 176 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macushla-Homebrew View Post
Yeah I use Oxiclean however I don't use corona bottles - they are clear and unless you are carbing and bottle conditioning in a dark place your beer could get off flavors due to light exposure or so ive read.
The clear bottles let in UV light and UV light interacts with hops compounds, producing skunky beer. Amber bottles block most (but not all) the UV light, hence why most beer is bottled in amber bottles. See - How to Brew - By John Palmer - Common Off-Flavors (scroll down to near the bottom)
__________________
My Hombrewing Blog

My Beer Cellar

JLem is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:37 AM   #8
hitbyatrain
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Round Rock, TX
Posts: 24
Default

aren't corona labels painted on? you're going to have quite a tough time getting those off with anything except a razor blade.
hitbyatrain is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:05 AM   #9
aggiejay06
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 209
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Or just paint on an "ry" at the end and call your beer "Coronary"
aggiejay06 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:29 AM   #10
pen25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: tulsa, ok
Posts: 976
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

use starsan. i have also used some no mix acid. ill have to look. i fill the bottle with water for weight and stand in a bottle. works a treat for corona. red strip a little harder.


__________________
from or living in oklahoma? come join us in the oklahoma group
pen25 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will Starsan remove pint glass silk screens the way it does Corona labels? Tenchiro Equipment/Sanitation 10 03-16-2009 10:21 PM
2 new bottle labels MrNate Label Display & Discussion 20 11-18-2008 03:40 PM
Corona bottle capper? McTarnamins Bottling/Kegging 5 03-31-2008 10:32 PM
bottle labels Dark_Ale General Beer Discussion 10 04-26-2005 01:51 AM
Bottle labels off... beersy49 General Techniques 16 01-10-2005 08:48 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS