Kegerator - hard to pour first pint. - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Kegerator - hard to pour first pint.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
Captain_Bigelow
 
Captain_Bigelow's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Los Angeles
Posts: 825
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts



I have a generic Sanyo 4912m kegerator which I made a couple of months back. I have a tough time pouring the first pint each day/ few days. The handle is very stiff (that's what she said!) and hard to pull on and turn off. I presume this is from the co2 in the system. I have my kegs set to a steady 12 psi the whole time. Once I pull that first pint, the rest are fine and the handle moves easily.

Is this normal and is there something which I can do to correct this? i.e. loosen faucet or something?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:17 PM   #2
wildwest450
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Posts: 9,043
Liked 173 Times on 158 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
I have a generic Sanyo 4912m kegerator which I made a couple of months back. I have a tough time pouring the first pint each day/ few days. The handle is very stiff (that's what she said!) and hard to pull on and turn off. I presume this is from the co2 in the system. I have my kegs set to a steady 12 psi the whole time. Once I pull that first pint, the rest are fine and the handle moves easily.

Is this normal and is there something which I can do to correct this? i.e. loosen faucet or something?
It's because beer is gumming up in the faucet. An easy fix is buying a forward sealing faucet(perlick). It keeps the beer where it should be and is much more sanitary.

Here's a better explanation-In an ordinary, rear-sealing, faucet the entire faucet must drain out of beer. There is actual pin hole in the back of an ordinary faucet that allows beer to drain out. Because beer drains from the entire faucet the faucet remains sticky and is prone to contamination from the left over residue. The Perlick faucet, with its forward sealing design, only has beer drain from the short 1" nozzle section. This allows it to always operate smoothly (even when it was not cleaned between uses) and greatly reduces contamination.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:33 PM   #3
Captain_Bigelow
 
Captain_Bigelow's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Los Angeles
Posts: 825
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts


ah I see... so it is just a case of unscrewing my old faucet and screw on the perlicks? no messing with hoses etc?

I think I might pick up a couple at Keg Connection.

Thanks for your help. I always wondered what the big deal with Perlicks was.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:07 PM   #4
shortyjacobs
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 2,509
Liked 35 Times on 35 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
ah I see... so it is just a case of unscrewing my old faucet and screw on the perlicks? no messing with hoses etc?

I think I might pick up a couple at Keg Connection.

Thanks for your help. I always wondered what the big deal with Perlicks was.
Yes. (56789)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:28 PM   #5
masonsjax
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
masonsjax's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Frederick, MD
Posts: 3,147
Liked 615 Times on 430 Posts


Be sure to shut off the gas and purge the kegs of pressure before removing the old faucets or you'll be cleaning beer from the walls. I'm sure that's obvious, just want to make sure though.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:37 PM   #6
wildwest450
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Posts: 9,043
Liked 173 Times on 158 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsjax View Post
Be sure to shut off the gas and purge the kegs of pressure before removing the old faucets or you'll be cleaning beer from the walls. I'm sure that's obvious, just want to make sure though.
Ha! +1, that would be great. You will not regret the perlicks, great faucets and easy to clean.

Here's a nice deal on ebay. I don't recognize that model but it's definitely a forward sealing perlick, and their cheap!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Perlick-Faucet-B...d=p3286.c0.m14


 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:41 PM   #7
JohnnyO
 
JohnnyO's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2008
Hamden, CT
Posts: 8,996
Liked 917 Times on 857 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsjax View Post
Be sure to shut off the gas and purge the kegs of pressure before removing the old faucets or you'll be cleaning beer from the walls. I'm sure that's obvious, just want to make sure though.
lol as obvious as it is, it's very easy to forget to do so as you're troubleshooting your system. Just ask my face and walls. I felt like the dog in the wharrrgarbbllll pic.
__________________
Fermenting: Munich Helles, Mole Porter, White IPA, SMaSH 2Row/Jarrylo
Drinking: Cider, Stout
On Deck: TBD

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:45 PM   #8
ChshreCat
 
ChshreCat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 11,533
Liked 542 Times on 434 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
lol as obvious as it is, it's very easy to forget to do so as you're troubleshooting your system. Just ask my face and walls. I felt like the dog in the wharrrgarbbllll pic.


Any excuse to post wharrgarbl is good for me.
__________________
"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:09 PM   #9
SowegaBrews
 
SowegaBrews's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Knoxville, TN
Posts: 201
Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts


or... you could go to Lowes/Home Depot and get a couple rubber stoppers to plug up the faucet when you're not pouring. I have 4 taps and have never had an issue since i started plugging them up, even after weeks of not using them. Keeps any curious bugs from wandering into your faucet as well.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:10 PM   #10
shortyjacobs
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 2,509
Liked 35 Times on 35 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Ha! +1, that would be great. You will not regret the perlicks, great faucets and easy to clean.

Here's a nice deal on ebay. I don't recognize that model but it's definitely a forward sealing perlick, and their cheap!

Perlick Faucet Beer Keg Tower Faucet NEW! - eBay (item 250496227820 end time Sep-16-09 18:57:46 PDT)
Definitely NOT a forward sealing perlick. That's the flow control Perlick, (410 model). It will have the exact same problems the OP was mentioning.

Forerst has the best deal on 525SS (forward sealing) Perlicks at AHS. There's rumors a group buy will be happening soon for 23.99 + shipping.....stay tuned

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I finished my kegerator - should I pour some sanitizer/h20 first? surfingpl Bottling/Kegging 5 03-12-2008 01:59 PM
One Day. 3 Brews. And...the Inaugural pint from my Kegerator! Evan! General Beer Discussion 13 02-19-2008 05:36 AM
Kegerator: First Pour Foam BeHoppy Bottling/Kegging 1 09-21-2007 09:54 PM
Pour your own pint Orpheus Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling 6 05-07-2007 07:53 PM


Forum Jump