brewing on an electric stove? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > brewing on an electric stove?

Old 09-16-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
Ky-Ale
Recipes 

Oct 2008
michigan

Hi so i finally got my beer kit but am running into a few problems already, for 1 the pot i plan to use for the boil in probably a 5 gallon steel pot from a turkey frying kit, will it cause off flavors due to the oil that was used in it? I had a hard time cleaning it all out. Second of all i am using an electric stove to brew on but it a glass top. I did a test boil with 2 gallons of water it took about 20 minutes before it started to bubble a bit but it wouldnt ever boil, i smelt something burning and it looked like a black cloud floating in the water? What can i do to help the water boil on this stove top?

Old 09-16-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
ic3scrap3r
Recipes 

Oct 2007
Mississippi

Search around. Some people have built electric "helpers" using water heater elements to put into the pot. Some seem to boil exclusively using these devices. (Although it takes multiples that way.)

Old 09-16-2009, 03:26 PM   #3
Arkador
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

first: If it is from a turky fryer, it should be either Stainless steel or Aluminum, both are fine for brewing.

second: If your pot does not sut perfectly flat on a radiant heat stovetop, you are going to have a hard time getting a rolling boil.

Look into getting a 4gal stainless pot new so that you know the bottom is not deformed. you can do a 2-2.5gal partial boil in that sized pot.

Otherwise, look into getting a turky fryer base and brew outdoors.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:37 PM   #4
Ky-Ale
Recipes 

Oct 2008
michigan

also i just looked at the pot again and were the water was its now discolored?

Old 09-16-2009, 03:38 PM   #5
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Mar 2009
San Diego, CA
Liked 29 Times on 19 Posts

Soak your pot in some Oxy Clean or the like for a little bit to give it a good clean and try your test boil again. I am one of the people that built an 'electric helper' (aka heatstick) and it works very well in combination with my electric stove to get a good rolling boil. I couldn't do it without one in my 8 gallon pot. They're a lot easier to build than it initially sounds, just make sure you use a GFI socket with it, you can buy them to plug inline at Home Depot if you can't install on in the wall.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Mar 2009
San Diego, CA
Liked 29 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-Ale View Post
Sounds like your pot is aluminium, not stainless steel. I think you don't want to use Oxy Clean on aluminium, but I forget if that's true. Check before you do.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:41 PM   #7
meluvbeer
Recipes 

Jun 2009
carolina
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You may have to do a partial boil with a smaller pot like a 20qt
stock pot you can get pretty cheap. Then top off with water
that you've already boiled to remove chlorine from. Then start
looking for a propane burner to brew outside.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:47 PM   #8
malkore

Recipes 

Jun 2007
Nebraska
Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts

those ceramic/glass top electric stoves are rough. they're great for cooking, but suck for boiling wide pots with a large volume.

my stove like that, I had better luck doing two 12qt stock pots (a split boil) then combining in teh fermenter, and topping off to 5 gallons. split ALL ingredients evenly, for good hop utilization.
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 09-16-2009, 10:00 PM   #9
Diablo
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-Ale View Post
That's the oxide layer on your aluminium pot. It's a good thing to have on your aluminium pot.

Check out this thread:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/faq-...kettles-49449/

Old 09-17-2009, 07:17 AM   #10
scrambledegg81
Flocculation Nation
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Los Osos, CA
Liked 40 Times on 36 Posts

Until I get my Christmas bonus (and spend it on a propane burner system I've been looking at), I use my electric stove as well. I've just gotten in the habit of moving the kettle around on the burner every few minutes. You'll notice that the moment you move it, the wort starts rolling around inside, and it gets a good froth to the boil

Bombers/Growlers/Aging: The Abyss, Firestone 19th Anniversary Ale
Kegerator: sanitizer!
Coming Up: something spiffy, most likely