Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Grains of Paradise ????? What??

Old 09-16-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
Grinder12000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Grains of Paradise ????? What??

In a 1554 clone people are talking about Grains of Paradise - what are these and where can I get them???

138 batches and counting

European IPA bottled, One Putt 12 IPA carbing. East Indian Porter on tap. Looking into a Saffon Beer

Old 09-16-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Grains of Paradise can be ordered through any online homebrew shop and can also be found at most LHBSs. They are small seeds that you'll need to crack in order to get their flavor. I chewed up one last time I used them in a brew and it reminded me of black pepper really.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #3
Grinder12000
Recipes 

Oh - no wonder I could not find them - "Grains" through me off!

138 batches and counting

European IPA bottled, One Putt 12 IPA carbing. East Indian Porter on tap. Looking into a Saffon Beer

Old 09-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #4
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Let me google that for you
People Like This 
Old 09-18-2009, 12:31 AM   #5
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 5

As it's a spice, you can also get top quality product through online (or local) spice houses. Whole Foods also sells it.

It tastes like black pepper and coconut, but more complex.

Primary:

Kegged: Belma Session IPA; Ordinary Bitter; Session Blonde; Rauchbier; Fir tip Maibock; Avery Hog Heaven clone; Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul; Perry;

Bottled: Mosaic Session Brett, French Saison; Smoked Wit; Quad; Tripel; Saison Americain; Coffee Saison; Session Saison; Bacon488's Mild

Old 09-18-2009, 12:51 AM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 469 Times on 377 Posts
Likes Given: 111

To my palate, they're almost a fruity, citrus-ey pepper; really, quite wonderful, particularly in a light wheat beer. You need VERY little, far fewer of the cracked seeds than you would possibly think could be noticed.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 09-18-2009, 02:22 AM   #7
Grinder12000
Recipes 

Thank you PseudoChef - I was hoping someone would take it upon themselves to do my work for me.

Can you also correct my spelling and tell me when I should use the search? I did that bit most threads HAVE the word grain in it somewhere.

138 batches and counting

Old 09-18-2009, 02:23 AM   #8
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 704 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 76

But very few have the word, "paradise." Even fewer have "paradise" in the title. Just a bit of strategery.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:28 AM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2883 Times on 1701 Posts
Likes Given: 3514

Here you go;

Quote:

Grains of Paradise come from West Africa, where they grow on a leafy plant and are easily harvested. The name comes from Medieval spice traders looking for a way to inflate the price - it was claimed that these peppery seeds grew only in Eden, and had to be collected as they floated down the rivers out of paradise. Although Grains of Paradise are now rare and expensive, they used to be used as a cheaper substitute for black pepper. They have a zesty flavor reminiscent of pepper, with hints of flowers, coriander and cardamom.

Alton Brown seems to favor these for Okra, as seen on his recent show "Okraphobia", where he makes okra and tomatoes with grains of paradise. We LOVE them mixed with Tellicherry black pepper, put in a pepper grinder and then used to encrust steaks as slight variation on steak au poivre. Grind over any dish where you would normally just grind straight black pepper to add a wonderful shake-up-your-table-condiments twist!

A New York Times article written by Amanda Hesser has popularized grains of paradise. She wrote, "I put a few between my teeth and crunched. They cracked like coriander releasing a billowing aroma, and then a slowly intensifying heat, like pepper at the back of my mouth. The taste changes in a second. The heat lingered. But the spice flavor was pleasantly tempered, ripe with flavors reminiscent of jasmine, hazelnut, butter and citrus, and with the kind of oiliness you get from nuts. They were entirely different from black peppercorns and in my mind, incomparably better."

Order Grains of Paradise here.
The brand most of us get from homebrew shops is called, "Brewer's Garden Paradise seeds."

http://www.store.homebrew4less.com/p...411&variation=

The 2 gram package usually runs between 2 and 3 bucks.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-18-2009, 06:02 AM   #10
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Look for them at natural foods stores and coops. I got 2 ounces for 6 bucks when I was up in Seattle last weekend. That's 1/15 the price of buying at a homebrew shop.