When to fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Im gonna make 2 mellomels and 2 cysers soon.

should i thaw and add my fruit at the beginning, or wait 2 weeks? in beer I would wait, but thats cuz of explosive fermentation... meade doesn't blow off!

I guess im just lazy for thinking of doing it all at once. I accept that :D

Any reasons not to?

Typically in meads if you want the flavor to come through then you put it in the secondary fermentation. When you rack it off the primary you rack it onto the fruit. Some people put it all together but they loose a lot of flavor in the fermentation process as the fruit flavor will get ripped apart. This is why when the fermentation is down to a barely visible then you rack it on to the fruit for a month or two.

You better believe melomels can blow off. I have a cabinet that can testify to that. If you put it both in primary and secondary, you get a more full flavor. It is important to note however that some things can taste nasty once they have fermented. I've never been able to get strawberries to taste even tolerable.

Well, I had a strawberry mead that was alright when I racked to secondary, but it got an acetobacter infection and went really nasty. The only other time I tried strawberries, it just tasted plain weird.

You better believe melomels can blow off. I have a cabinet that can testify to that. If you put it both in primary and secondary, you get a more full flavor. It is important to note however that some things can taste nasty once they have fermented. I've never been able to get strawberries to taste even tolerable.

or watermelon.....especially that ****ing watermelon....

i have read about doing some fruit in the first and then some in the secondary fermenter.

this sounds like a decent enough idea i think.

too soon and the flavor gets lost, do it all later and it might be too powerful/not mellow enough

i would think some now and some later would be a good balance of the up front and subtle flavors.

Back