Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Substitute for Pacman yeast for Dead Guy clone?

Old 09-16-2009, 03:19 AM   #1
Mongo64
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Substitute for Pacman yeast for Dead Guy clone?

I'm planning on brewing up a batch of a clone recipe of Dead Guy Ale this weekend. I don't have any Pacman (Wyeast 1764) yeast and wanted to get some advice for a substitute. I have some S-04, S-05, and Nottingham (older lot#) dry yeast. Can someone give me some advice on which yeast would get me closest to the real thing or suggest something else to use?

Old 09-16-2009, 04:44 AM   #2
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

US-05 is the best bet. I've also made it 3 times with Pacman, and honestly can't tell the difference in taste so I've gone back to using US-05 every time I make it.

Yooper's clone recipe is pretty spot-on, if that's the one you're using I think you'll be pleased.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Old 09-16-2009, 05:02 AM   #3
michael.berta
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

+1 on US05.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
Falcor
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What about liquid yeast? WLP001? 008?

Old 09-16-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6216 Times on 4428 Posts
Likes Given: 1666

I've used WLP001, at a low temperature (around 62, I believe) and been very happy with it in Dead Guy. I haven't tried 008.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 09-16-2009, 12:48 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2888 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

I've done it with 05, 04, bottle harvested pacman and even saflager, and honestly the best yooper's dead guy I have ever made and the one that doing head to head tests with some friends who were DG fans, was with Wyeast 1338 European Ale
Quote:
From Wissenschaftliche in Munich. Full-bodied complex strain finishing very malty. Produces a dense, rocky head during fermentation.
All the other version were fine, but that version was the most complex and tastier of them all. In fact in the taste tests I did with people, they chose my version with that over the actual DG. In fact people were quite shocked.

I think since the 1338 finishes malty and full body it really makes the caramel and other malts shine through in the recipe.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

But of your list and the yeasts I've used of them it would have to be 05.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-16-2009, 03:12 PM   #7
dantodd

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

revvy, what temp did your run the 1338?

Old 09-16-2009, 03:31 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2888 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
revvy, what temp did your run the 1338?
I don't remember. Whatever was ambient room temp at the time. It was early spring if I recall, so it was prolly mid 60's in my place.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-17-2009, 03:19 AM   #9
Mongo64
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I called up the LHBS and found out that had some Wyeast 1338 so I'm gonna give that a try (thanks Revvy). The Wyeast website says 1338 should ferment 62-72. I have good temp control on my ferment now so I think I'll shoot for 64-65.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #10
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My house yeast for hoppy beers is now Wyeast London Ale 1028. The 1338 Revvy recommended is a similar yeast in terms of its performance and flavor profile.

I find that the fruity esters** and malt accentuation of English or European ale yeast strains actually lead to a more enjoyable hoppy beer, whereas US-05 or similar strains will create a one-note beer where only the hops come through.

... of course if you want a Pliny-like beer where it's like brushing your teeth with hops you should pick the US-05.

** note I ferment around 65*F to keep the ester levels in check. Above that it would be too estery and would conflict with the American hops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd