Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Pitching onto yeast cake

Old 09-14-2009, 03:20 AM   #1
gyllstromk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Pitching onto yeast cake

I've got a new beer I'm planning to brew as well as one ready to be bottled. I'd like to just pitch onto the yeast cake of the previous. I assume autolysis occurs when the yeast have run out of stuff to ferment and start eating at the trub, and won't occur when there are fermentables. Is this true? Also, if there's residual hops and cold break in the fermenter, is this bad for pitching a new beer?

Old 09-14-2009, 03:28 AM   #2
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Autolysis is caused when some of yeast dies and puts out a toxin that kills off the remaining healthy yeast. It has nothing to do with trub. What is at the bottom of your primary when your beer is done is not dead yeast but sleeping yeast.

I pitch on the cake when the timing is right. It's fun having a violent fermentation and my beers have always turned out great.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:20 PM   #3
sonetlumiere85
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Don't worry too much about cold break unless it's taking up more than, like, two inches on the bottom. Pitching onto a cake is really awesome, I've recently started doing it, and it seems to work just great.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 28 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 523 Times on 401 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Would pitching onto a yeast cake be better than pitching new yeast, since the old wort would have acted as a yeast starter, and there'd be much more yeast in the cake than what you would pitch from a new batch?

Old 09-14-2009, 08:11 PM   #5
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 159 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 113

+1
if you've got the cake - pitch on it! You may get very active fermentation within an hour or two!

Old 09-14-2009, 08:20 PM   #6
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

the yeast cake is an awesome starter. but i would be afraid of getting crap from the last brewing; dead/sick yeast, hops resin, fermentation byproducts. but that can be removed by cleaning the yeast. im sure there has to be a post or 20 on here about that.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:37 PM   #7
sonetlumiere85
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

it's not really necessary to clean the yeast, just don't reuse past 4 generations and keep fermentation temperatures steady

Old 09-14-2009, 09:06 PM   #8
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Would I need to add any other yeast? Or at least more of a stylized yeast, for example, I"m days away from bottling a wheat, and I have a pilsner and a williams brewing belgian quad on deck. Would either of these be suitable for pitching on a wheat cake, and if so, cake solely, or add the stylised yeast also?

Old 09-15-2009, 12:49 AM   #9
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonetlumiere85 View Post
it's not really necessary to clean the yeast, just don't reuse past 4 generations and keep fermentation temperatures steady
Good point with fermentation temps, with a big yeast cake the temps in primary will get well above ambient temperature, you'll want to have some way to actively cool the fermenter.

I use a freezer with a temp controller on it that monitors the temp of the carboy and turns on accordingly. You don't need something that space consuming though, you can just put your carboy in any large tub you have and add a bottle or two of frozen water each day (trade out the bottles and refreeze) to keep the temperature where you want it.

Edit:

I don't think any of those brews can really share a yeast. You really want a belgian yeast for belgians, a wheat yeast for wheats and a mostly neutral yeast for a pils. I don't do belgians or wheats so... I don't stray far from nottingham, S-04 or S-05, so I'm able to reuse more.

You can always wash the yeast and store in your fridge to use for your next wheat.

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 09-15-2009, 01:17 AM   #10
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

well since the pils is kind of a "ah, f*** it, this could be my last hopped extract", would it be really really bad if I just threw the kit in there on top of the wheat cake? I'm not worried about it being stylistically correct, I'd rather just have a brew that doesn't taste like something you'd find in a puddle under an elephant. The Belgian Quad is getting no such treatment. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.