Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Herb Ball + Pellets + Keg = ?

Old 09-14-2009, 01:54 AM   #1
chefchris
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Herb Ball + Pellets + Keg = ?

So I had to keg a beer out of necessity tonight before I got the chance to dry hop it. I do have an herb ball, but do most people use pellets in those? I know pellets can really make a mess. I'd hate to drink a whole keg with floaters in it.

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Old 09-14-2009, 02:17 AM   #2
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 40 Posts

Thats what I did with my last IPA. I used one of the bigger round tea balls they sell at Bed Bath & Beyond. Aside from the chlorophenols the beer turned out great.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:18 AM   #3
chefchris
Recipes 

Thanks, did you use dental floss? I thought about just duct taping it to the lid. I'm from Mississippi, though.

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Old 09-14-2009, 02:21 AM   #4
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 40 Posts

I actually learned about the dental floss trick after the fact. I boiled a pipe cleaner to sanitize it. Then I used the pipe cleaner to attach the tea ball to the liquid dip tube. Ghetto, but it worked.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:46 AM   #5
chefchris
Recipes 

Well, I got some really thin yarn and wound it around one of the post while I situated the lid. Of course it unwound itself ... I almost caught it.

almost.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:13 PM   #6
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
Well, I got some really thin yarn and wound it around one of the post while I situated the lid. Of course it unwound itself ... I almost caught it.

almost.
Yikes, don't use yarn! Unless they make waterproof yarn nowadays.
The reason for dental floss is that it's wax coated and very strong, i always double mine up, and it works great. Zero off flavors.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:42 PM   #7
greenbirds
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have used an all stainless ring clamp to secure the herb/tea ball to the pressure relief valve nub on the underside of the lid. worked great. the 1 oz of pellets did swell up pretty fat, so I would not use more than that, but I didn't notice any sediment escaping.

Also, the herb ball chain is not too long, so the ball will only be submerged in a full 5 gallons. I suspect that after a few pints it will be hanging above the beer. Of course, if you cold crash or carb for 1-2 weeks prior to drinking, that's perfect, since you won't get any grassy notes from overextending the dry hop contact time.