Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > How do you bottle without priming sugar?

Old 09-13-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
Newbeerguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default How do you bottle without priming sugar?

I am wondering if there is a way (and I am sure there is) to bottle without adding the priming suger.

I read a bunch of topics on force carbing kegs, but what about bottles? I don't have any corny kegs yet. What I would like to do is to somehow filter the beer to remove the yeast in suspension and then carb+bottle it. How the commercial breweries do it?

Thanks!

Old 09-13-2009, 10:06 PM   #2
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 438 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 63

You can use a counter pressure filler to fill bottles from a vessel that is already carbonated.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:15 PM   #3
Newbeerguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

That is like using a beer gun on a keg correct?

Old 09-13-2009, 10:16 PM   #4
cellardoor
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The only way to do it that way is filter still then bottle into any size plastic soda bottle with a screw cap. From there you can use a carbonator cab and force carb those individual bottles. It's kind of a pain and you have to use plastic bottles but it's doable. The reason more people don't do that, is because the equipment (CO2 tank, regulator, hose, connections) are like 3/4 if the equipment you need for kegging a beer. Add a corny keg and a picnic tap and you have a draft set up.

If you want bottled beer, just bottle with priming sugar and learn to pour correctly, if you want yeast free beer than just keg. If your don't want your friends to be freaked out by the sediment take that as a time to educate them about living beer.

Primary: Smoked Porter
Secondary: Flanders Red 2010
Kegged: 10.10.10, Robust Porter, American IPA

"Without algae, there would be no life on earth, the seas would be sterile and the land would be uncolonized."
-Sir David Attenborough

Old 09-13-2009, 10:20 PM   #5
Newbeerguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellardoor View Post
The only way to do it that way is filter still then bottle into any size plastic soda bottle with a screw cap. From there you can use a carbonator cab and force carb those individual bottles. It's kind of a pain and you have to use plastic bottles but it's doable. The reason more people don't do that, is because the equipment (CO2 tank, regulator, hose, connections) are like 3/4 if the equipment you need for kegging a beer. Add a corny keg and a picnic tap and you have a draft set up.

If you want bottled beer, just bottle with priming sugar and learn to pour correctly, if you want yeast free beer than just keg. If your don't want your friends to be freaked out by the sediment take that as a time to educate them about living beer.
I already have a Kegerator (Co2 bottle/hoses, ect.) I just don't have any Corny kegs.....right most of the people I let try my beers are a little weary because they see yeast in the bottom of the bottle.

So really all I'd need to do to serve some yeast free beer is get a corny keg and make them come to my house to get some beer?

Old 09-13-2009, 10:50 PM   #6
cellardoor
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If you already have most of the equipment just buy a few corny kegs ($20-30 each depending on where you get them, how many you buy and where you live) and some corny disconnects and you are in business. You'll have clear sediment free beer on tap. If you need to take some beer to other places you can bottle from the keg. Previously mentioned was a beer gun or counter pressure bottle filler. That way you can bottle as much or a little of a batch from the keg and end up with sediment free bottles.

Primary: Smoked Porter
Secondary: Flanders Red 2010
Kegged: 10.10.10, Robust Porter, American IPA

"Without algae, there would be no life on earth, the seas would be sterile and the land would be uncolonized."
-Sir David Attenborough

Old 10-15-2009, 08:03 AM   #7
HippyDave
Recipes 

Default What happens if you just don't add priming sugar before bottling?

So it's flat.

My last three batches, I've loved the taste of that beer before I bottled.

What's the haarm of not carbonating?

Beer tea?

Old 10-15-2009, 08:29 AM   #8
marzsit
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

no harm, it's what the brits call 'real ale'....