55 gallon drum lid - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > 55 gallon drum lid

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
Cold_Steel
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Posts: 558
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



Any good suggestions on how cut off the drum lid. I want to be able to screw the lid back on or have a way to securely place it back on top air tight of course.
Thanks !!!
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/...eB_profiel.JPG



 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:40 PM   #2
woodstone
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Nov 2005
Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 681
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


Good luck with that. I work in the environmental business and not seen a way to convert.

You've got a closed top poly for liquids...you need an open top poly with lid, ring, and gasket for solids - it will be air and liquid tight if closed correctly.

The best you are going to be able to do is cut off the top with a sawzall and not be able to replace, or find someone to trade for the open top, or buy outright...you might be able to find a poly open top for about $50.

55's are too big and I don't think anyone makes the screw on top conversion like there are for the 5 gallon pails.

Sorry to be a downer.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:46 PM   #3
Cold_Steel
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Posts: 558
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstone View Post
Good luck with that. I work in the environmental business and not seen a way to convert.

You've got a closed top poly for liquids...you need an open top poly with lid, ring, and gasket for solids - it will be air and liquid tight if closed correctly.

The best you are going to be able to do is cut off the top with a sawzall and not be able to replace, or find someone to trade for the open top, or buy outright...you might be able to find a poly open top for about $50.

55's are too big and I don't think anyone makes the screw on top conversion like there are for the 5 gallon pails.

Sorry to be a downer.
No i think you are spot on. I was just hoping their was a tool I didnt know about to help with the edges.
thanks!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:04 PM   #4
MrNate
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Bridgewater, NJ
Posts: 814
Liked 16 Times on 8 Posts


I thought they had tools for deheading drums as well..

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:11 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
 
Bobby_M's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Posts: 23,146
Liked 1622 Times on 1050 Posts


I'd cut out a smaller hole in the flat part, cut a gasket and lay a 1/4" piece of polycarb or acrylic on top.
__________________
Welcome to BrewHardware.com. I love you.
BIAB Large Mesh False Bottoms and SS HERMS COILS are IN!!
Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:19 PM   #6
Cold_Steel
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Posts: 558
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I'd cut out a smaller hole in the flat part, cut a gasket and lay a 1/4" piece of polycarb or acrylic on top.
You might have a really good point. I have only thought about cutting the entire top off. I really dont need the entire top off for cleaning. I am using a pressure washer for cleaning.

bytheby, i built your counterflow chiller. Great project!
Thanks again

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:01 PM   #7
woodstone
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Nov 2005
Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 681
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNate View Post
I thought they had tools for deheading drums as well..
Sorry I've been MIA. They make drum deheaders but they are for metal closed tops. They work like a huge can opener....still leaves a fairly jaged edge and won't work on the poly's. Good idea about cutting just the top.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:10 PM   #8
Nwcw2001
Recipes 
 
Nov 2005
Superior, CO
Posts: 267
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Here is how I did mine when I made an upright drum smoker.

Take a angle grinder with a cut off wheel and go just under the lip and SLOWLY cut into the barrel. You will notice that you go through on layer and when you go all the way around the top will pop off and be a reusable lid. just do some light grinding to get rid of any burrs. It takes a bit to get the hang of it but once you figure out how deep you have to go it goes pretty quick.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
55 Gallon Ordinary Steel Drum System nationslargest DIY Projects 78 04-16-2013 07:41 PM
Fermenting in a 55 gallon food grade plastic drum Dynachrome Fermenters 26 12-20-2011 09:23 PM
55 gallon stainless drum(s) wildbill Equipment/Sanitation 9 04-26-2010 03:18 PM
55 gallon drum fermentation idea Pangea Fermenters 8 08-27-2009 01:39 PM
15 gallon firmentation drum kennethm Equipment/Sanitation 8 08-25-2009 10:00 PM


Forum Jump