Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Doughing in with a heated MLT
Old 09-10-2009, 06:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default Doughing in with a heated MLT

When you have a HERMS/RIMS/Direct fired mash tun, is it better to raise the temperature of the strike water so that you hit your mash temperature after you dough in or is it OK to mash in lower and raise the temperature after adding the grains?

What I've done on my last few batches is let my HERMS get the water up to my mashing temperature, dough in, and then let the HEX bring it back up to temp before I start my timer (usually only take 5-10 minutes). I figure this way, I don't risk denaturing any of the enzymes because none of them will ever see a temperature higher than it should before I'm ready to mash out.

Results so far have been great but I wonder if there's a reason it's better to heat it up higher so that I'm at my mashing temperature as soon as the grains have been added.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 134 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I don't have HERMS/RIMS set-up but I'd think taking longer to ramp up is better than being too high. It would increase the efficiency with a slightly lower temp just starting out. As you pointed out, you also don't risk the denaturing of the enzymes. I don't see that as much a risK though.

I always preheat my MLT with near boiling water for about 10 minutes, then dump this to my HLT add the grain and strike water. As soon as the stirring is done I'm right on temp.

BTW - My MLT is 12 gallons. I also check the grain temp for ~70F and mash water is about 11-12F hotter than my mash temp. I dough in at 1.33 Qrts/Lb.
Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. - Dale Carnegie

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 09-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #3
Vendor and Brewer
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Liked 1401 Times on 919 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I'd shoot for an equalization temp just slightly under your target. E.g, if you wanted 155F, try for 153-154F and let the HEX bring it up. You don't want to miss by so far that it will take 10 minutes to recover. I do agree that under is better than over because enzymatic activity is boosted at higher temps and your profile won't be what you expected (or at least not repeatable).
Welcome to I love you.
New 100% Stainless Steel Heating Elements are IN! ULWD 5500w Ripple, 2000w, 1500w, etc
Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc.