looking for help. on small recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becksbolero2

Reaction score
so ive been brewing beer for a year now and am curious
to try a batch of mead. I would like to make a small batch to start out with because
A, I've never had it before and am not sure how i will like it.
B honey seems like its crazy expensive.

I was thinking of boiling on the stove and fermenting in a growler. ( 1/2 gallon)...will that work ?

i'm looking to see if someone here might have an idea for a recipe for a batch that size.

thanks so much
joe

Give Joes Ancient Orange Mead a try
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f80/joes-ancient-orange-mead-49106/

Many people have had great success with the recipe and have enjoyed it immensely.

Yes, honey is getting expensive. The larger the quantities you can find it in, the cheaper per # it can get. The small store sizes are anywhere from $4-$7/lb. But once you start finding the 12lb or larger, you may be able to get it for $3/lb or less.

I started with beer and mead is extremely easy to make compared to even extract brewing. You don't have to boil anything except the water if you want to be extra safe and the hardest part is just the patience.

If you've never had it, I'd compare it to a white wine. I thought I'd make a small batch to start out, but now I wish I'd just gone for the 5 gallons.

Back