Any issues with this 2 tier AG setup?
I am stepping up to AG. I was working on this design:
Custom welded two tier stand
Three 15.5 keg kettles (HLT, MT, BK)
HLT on top
MLT and BK side by side on bottom
Two Hurricane burners
But costs are quickly getting bigger than my budget. So I am thinking about this partial solution, where I can expand into the above solution over time. This solution would use the same rack design, but would only use one kettle, and one cooler type MT. I would add more 15.5 kettles over time.
Same custom welded two tier stand design
One 15.5 kettle (both HLT and BK)
HLT/BK sits top rack
Cooler type MT sits on bottom rack
One Hurricane Burner (mounted on top rack)
I am thinking the brew process would go something like (batch sparge):
1. Heat strike water in kettle (HLT) and gravity feed to MT
2. After hour, gravity feed wart from MT to 5 gallon pale (sitting on ground).
3. Before the hour is up from step 2, heat sparge water in kettle.
4. Gravity feed sparge water from kettle to MT.
5. Gravity feed wart from MT to either another 5 gallon pale, or move the kettle (a BK at this point) to the ground and fill it directly.
6. Add the initial wart collection (from step 2) to the kettle.
7. Boil wart.
Does that sound right? The only drawback is that I am boiling on the top rack (at least till I add another kettle and burner on bottom rack). The top of the kettle will end up being about 70" from the ground.