Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Malting Gluten Free Grains

Old 03-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #191
tbskinner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I found this website. http://www.aaoobfoods.com/bulkfoods.htm cheapest iv found quinoa 25 lb/ $69 and millet 50 lb/ $46. I dont know about shipping and it may not be gluten free. If you wash it a bunch before you malt it will it mater if its processed with gluten?

Old 03-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #192
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbskinner View Post
I found this website. http://www.aaoobfoods.com/bulkfoods.htm cheapest iv found quinoa 25 lb/ $69 and millet 50 lb/ $46. I dont know about shipping and it may not be gluten free. If you wash it a bunch before you malt it will it mater if its processed with gluten?
I think the main issue with grains would be the possibility of other grains being mixed in...for example if they use the same equipment to harvest/process wheat first...

Old 03-14-2013, 10:32 PM   #193
tbskinner
Recipes 

With quinoa and millet it would be fairly easy, just make a screen with small diameter holes. Wheat and barley are fairly larger than quinoa and millet. Washing it would separate the husks out from the wheat or barley. Now sorghum on the other hand would probably have to be gone threw by hand, so that's out.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:27 AM   #194
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts

It matters to many people. Might not matter to some others as "mostly gluten free".

Also sifting isn't the best idea because you can still get particulates coming through. The best is to have dedicated fields.

That said, since the grain isn't being directly eaten (like oatmeal), then the beer's gluten results should be pretty low.
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #195
tbskinner
Recipes 

Yeah, I'm one of those people that it matters to. I'm sensitive down to like 5ppm. Have you washes grains before all the particulates float. So as long as there are no whole grains in there washing would take everything out. Just to let you know about the dedicated field thing... if there is a field within 5 miles that is growing something else it can get into that field. It happens all the time in farming.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #196
dieden187
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Sorry to resurrect a dormant thread, but I just read though all 20 pages.... Has anyone evolved towards automating some their malting equipment in the last 3 years of this thread's existance? and if so, anyone have any pics?

Old 02-27-2014, 08:15 PM   #197
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts

Sadly, life had gotten too busy for me to start my processes. I think I have enough parts for my purpose, I think, just need to assemble and wash and begin.
Tbh, I've been too busy to brew anything, either.
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:14 AM   #198
celiacsurvivor
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Hi,

has anyone tried malting Japanese Millet, or Sirohie Millet? I know that most millet in the States is White Proso, but this is not available in New Zealand.

Before I started with these varieties I thought it would be best to ask if anyone has any experience with them?

Cheers

Old 10-30-2014, 11:57 AM   #199
brwmistr
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Millet

Millet and Sorghum are similar but not the same. I Malt my own Millet but the grain you get from "The Bulk Barn" will not germinate as it has been IR radiated. I had to source out millet grain for Birds. Takes two days to germinate and then I start the drying stage. I dry it in the germ box after I take the crock pot full of water out of the bottom tray and put in my dehydrator base which runs the whole time and is set for 38cel max(if you happen to forget about it). With this set up it runs for 24hrs with full air fan pulling from the top of the box and is dry to the touch. Then I cure it at 170F for 1.5 - 2hrs depending on the type of malt I want to use it for. Crystal takes me about 3-5hrs as I spray it down and keep it moist through the "drying" stage. Then I use the cloths drier to tumble it to break of the shoots. It sound like a lot of work but the control you get over all the ingredients and the taste is worth it.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:37 AM   #200
celiacsurvivor
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Where do you get your millet from?

I have found two sources;
http://wesco.co.nz/
http://www.newtonseed.co.nz

both are $5.50kg.

There is also this place that sells lots of varieties of sorghum.
http://www.specseed.co.nz

I think I'll order some and give it a go. I've been malting my own buckwheat and quinoa for a while but am keen for some Millet.