Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > grain bag hole

Old 09-09-2009, 12:24 AM   #1
exbrit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default grain bag hole

Getting ready to brew my second batch (a hefe) in a few minutes and was getting everything ready when i noticed the only grain bag i have has a good size hole in the bottom of it.

Is this an issue and how can i safely remove the grains after the bag is removed if that's what is recommended?

Also wondering if it's better to use plastic fermenter when doing a hefe beacause of the possibility of an agressive ferment? I don't have a blow off tube so would it make sense to use the plastic in case things get crazy?

Thanks

Old 09-09-2009, 12:46 AM   #2
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by exbrit View Post
Getting ready to brew my second batch (a hefe) in a few minutes and was getting everything ready when i noticed the only grain bag i have has a good size hole in the bottom of it.

Is this an issue and how can i safely remove the grains after the bag is removed if that's what is recommended?

Also wondering if it's better to use plastic fermenter when doing a hefe beacause of the possibility of an agressive ferment? I don't have a blow off tube so would it make sense to use the plastic in case things get crazy?

Thanks
No idea on the first one, (can you go to a home depot or something quickly and get a paint strainer bag??)

Second one, you can fashion a blow off tube of many things. Do you have a 3 piece airlock, or one of the "s-turn" ones? with a 3 piece, take off the lid and the little upside down shot glass thingie inside of it and push some siphon hose over the thing sticking up. Send that into a thing of water and you are set.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:17 AM   #3
kyleobie
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would totally fashion a blow off tube.

I just mentioned this story on another thread, but my second brew was a weizen. I primaried in my closet, I didn't use a blow off tube and in the middle of the night I woke up to a loud POP. The krausen shot it off into the air!

Personally, I have trouble cleaning krausen out of my airlocks so I just stick the tubing into the bucket's hole and wrap it tight with tinfoil. I'm still a pseudo-newb, though.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:36 PM   #4
Ridebreck
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Check your local home improvement store (Home Depot, etc) to see if they have any 1-inch I.D. vinyl tubing. It fits snugly into a carboy opening and makes for a great blow-off tube. I had to grab some in an emergency and it worked great.