Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Wild Hops - Denver Colorado Area

Old 09-08-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
TXANM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Wild Hops - Denver Colorado Area

I have located wild hops in the Denver Colorado area & was wondering how you identify what type they are. Is there any concern over wild hops?

Old 09-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
zman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXANM View Post
I have located wild hops in the Denver Colorado area & was wondering how you identify what type they are. Is there any concern over wild hops?
Where in Denver? I wanna check em out also

Old 11-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
mister_photon
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Hello, where did you find wild hops in Colorado?

I have heard they are rampant in Central City, also Lyons.

You mentioned you found them in Denver? Cheers, Nick Teti - contact@misterphoton.com
www.misterphoton.com - (720) 299 2084

Old 12-05-2012, 11:06 PM   #4
Brent_in_Aurora
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

There are wild hops in the Pine Valley Ranch open space in Jeffco, just north of the parking lot on the railroad trail. Both male and female, so watch out. I harvested some seeds a few years ago, but they did not germinate.

There are also hops on Plainview Road and 72, just west of 93. I was just out there, but did not look around. I have heard about Central City and Lyons, but have not checked them out.

The USDA did a hop collection survey and wrote a report. http://www.ars-grin.gov/cor/reprints...dition2002.pdf it lists their collection sites.

Naturally, it is easier to get clippings from existing growers. I have Centennial, Cascade and Zeus; I would give clippings out next spring.
mister_photon Likes This 
Old 12-09-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
mister_photon
Recipes 

I have Nugget and a high alpha undeclared I bought from a farmers market last year. Maybe we can trade some blossoms next year ? I also have a friend growing Chinook and Columbus hop plants as well.

Nick (720) 299-2084, www.misterphoton.com (has my email address). Cheers, Nick Teti, Colorado

Old 09-09-2014, 08:47 PM   #6
magoo95
Recipes 

Default Out today

I was in Lair o the bear open area park in jeffco. On the Southside of morrison road between Morrison and coleslaw. I do not brew but looked like hops, another person said they were hops and he said the criss cross throughout the area. He said to look for forums about wild hops in CO, and let you home brewers know.

I hope this is useful. Also several Apple trees small but sweet apples nicely ripe if any hard cider aficionados out there.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:18 PM   #7
PapaBearJay
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo95 View Post
I was in Lair o the bear open area park in jeffco. On the Southside of morrison road between Morrison and coleslaw. I do not brew but looked like hops, another person said they were hops and he said the criss cross throughout the area. He said to look for forums about wild hops in CO, and let you home brewers know.

I hope this is useful. Also several Apple trees small but sweet apples nicely ripe if any hard cider aficionados out there.

Would you collect some for us? Yeah, sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew
Drinking:It's 5 o'clock somewhere right?

Old 09-15-2014, 07:08 PM   #8
Grimtas
Recipes 

Five years ago I harvested three rhizomes while harvesting the wild hop plants in Phantom Canyon, I haven't been back since so I don't know if they are still there or not. I'll have to check next fall due to the fire this past summer. If they are not there I'll replace the rhizomes from my garden which I've already have split into 8 plants. Each year I produce 8-12 lbs of hops from that wild plant. Don't know what they are and don't really care as I just use them to dry hop for aroma.