Help! Does This Look Like A Good Keg For $50?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhonda00

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm about to buy this keg for $50 to convert to my first keggle. Two questions:
1) Does this sound like a decent buy?
2) Is this keg Stainless steel?

Here is the link

beer keg

Thanks,
Jacob

It's stainless. If it's what you can find in the area for price, it's worth it.

The Mexican lineage on the keg in Spanish is interesting- what all does that say?

Yeah, the spanish was kinda throwing me off. For this area, keg deposits are $75 so I mean thats a decent deal. I talked him down from $60 and he said he won't go less than $50. So this would make a nice keggle?

I think I'm going to buy it. I guess I'll let you guys know how it works out.

I found a several in about that condition where i live for 25 bucks but the deposites are 50 here. Check the recycling centers neer you. Probably find some cheeper thats where i found mine.

I took out a craigslist ad offering $20 for kegs and bought all I wanted.

Edit:
Now that I think about it I offered $25. The kegs I got were is rough shape, forgotten at the back of the garages and in basements but they cleaned up well. Tough to hurt stainless steel.

I think most of the Mexican beverage distribution stuff is built better than the US counterparts. I know at least in glass bottles and stainless milk containers this is the case. Mexico tends to be much better at re-using reusable things so containers are built to take more abuse.

Also I believe their keg deposits are for full value so there is no reason to create lower quality kegs.

IMO opinion $50 is way too much for an old keg. I've seen them a lot cheaper.

I took out a craigslist ad offering $20 for kegs and bought all I wanted.

+1

Kegs rarely came up for sale on craigslist, even in atlanta. But as soon as I posted a want ad, I got 2 within a few days for $30 each.

+1

Kegs rarely came up for sale on craigslist, even in atlanta. But as soon as I posted a want ad, I got 2 within a few days for $30 each.

I've scored five full size and one pony so far and the most I've paid is $30.

Alright, I bought the keg last night. The welds look good and even feels a little heavier than a miller or bud keg. I dont if this matters, but it says Spartanburg on the top?

Well, I called many scrap yards here in Houston and none say they have kegs that they will re-sell. I agree that $50 is a little high, but at least now I don't have to look for a keg any more. $10 extra is worth it in my opinion. I guess I'll just take the 10 dollar hit with a few homebrews.

I looked on Craigslist in Austin and picked up 3 SS kegs for $50 from a UT student. Collage students are always a good source if there is a school close.

Wow, that sounds like a good idea. I'll need to keep that in mind for the next keg I buy.

Well, I imagine the valve will cost around $20 and I had everything to cut it open. I used an angle grinder on a jig and then some 220 grit sand paper to make everything nice. I'm going to borrow a step bit from a friend to install the valve/thermometer.

If you get a keg for $50.00 or even $40.00, how much to add the valve, thermometer and have it cut open.

A local welder put in a 1/2" coupler and cut the top off of mine for $80. Since the keg was free, I ended up with a pretty good deal.

Yeah, one of our family members welds and said he would do it, but I really dont think it's necessary. I'm just going to do it myself. Besides, I enjoy learning how to do more handy stuff.

Back