Great pub in central Iowa - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North Central Homebrew Forum > Great pub in central Iowa
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 09-15-2006, 04:26 AM   #1
eastwood44mag
Recipes 

Oct 2005

If you're ever in Ames, IA, you have to visit Olde Maine Brewing Co. Great beer, great food. Beer is very reasonable, food is very high. Plus, if you join the Beer Enthusiasts Union, you get 25 oz mugs for $3, free beer every time a new batch is released, and 10% rebate on food.

No, I don't work for them, but I love going there.

Old 09-18-2006, 08:56 PM   #2
TxBrew
Dr. Mantis
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Feb 2004
San Marcos, Texas, Texas
Liked 2148 Times on 745 Posts

Any other good brew pubs in Iowa? I was born and raised till I was in grade school in Marshalltown. I try to go back and visit la familia every couple years.

Old 09-18-2006, 08:58 PM   #3
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Jul 2005
Poo-Poo Land
Liked 39 Times on 27 Posts

My wife talks about wanting to move back to Algona, Iowa where her family is from. I told her "OK", as long as I can open a brewpub.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 10-03-2006, 01:11 AM   #4
the art guy
Recipes 

Jul 2006
Iowa

Iowa's not the best territory for outstanding brewpubs, in my opinion. There are a couple in Des Moines that are alright (but nothing to write home about), and the same is true of the few other large cities. The Quad Cities area (Davenport/Moline) is better: Front Street in Davenport is pretty good, and the Bent River Brewing Company in Moline (IL) is great.

Old 02-19-2007, 04:01 AM   #5
drost
Recipes 

Apr 2006
Ankeny, IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
My wife talks about wanting to move back to Algona, Iowa where her family is from. I told her "OK", as long as I can open a brewpub.

Cheese,

When you get ready to open in Algona, let me know...I'll be there!

I would agree that here in Iowa we don't have the best options for brew pubs. Part of the problem is the alcohol restrictions the state puts on. It's difficult to purchase any beer over 8% alcohol in the stores because the state regulates it, and if a small shop wants to purchase something in that range they have to purchase huge amounts.

As far as brewpubs go, Cedar Brewing Company in Cedar Rapids does a good job, as well as Raccoon River Brewing Company in Des Moines. There's also a micro brew bar in Des Moines called el Bait Shop that doesn't brew, but has 105 micro brews on tap! Great place.

drost
"It isn't a matter of being a beer snob. Some people think a steak from Ponderosa is a great dinner out (Budweiser). Others would rather have a filet at one of the better steakhouses (craft beer). " --Pronger750

Old 02-19-2007, 01:05 PM   #6
cweston

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Manhattan, KS
Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts

Where is that in Ames?

I lived there from 1994-2002. It sure could have used a good brewpub then!

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 02-19-2007, 01:10 PM   #7
Snakebone

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Crown Point, IN
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Don't go to Brick Town in Dubuque. It is a restaurant micro brewery that has expensive food and warm beer.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:55 PM   #8
dblvsn

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Ankeny, IA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakebone
Don't go to Brick Town in Dubuque. It is a restaurant micro brewery that has expensive food and warm beer.
Warm beer is the best kind! Well more like room temperature. I find that most restaurants serve their beer way too cold. The cold covers up a lot of the aroma and flavor of the beer. Isn't that what drinking beer is all about?

Old 02-20-2007, 12:06 AM   #9
Snakebone

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Crown Point, IN
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I realize some beers are good at room temp and that some people like it this way. But! If this place wants to cater to the 1% that likes warm beer they can do that and go out of business or they can turn down the temp. a little(a lot). This place only gets tourists because my friends that live in the area don't go there because of the warm beer. Bottom line, no repeat business from locals.

Old 02-22-2007, 04:44 AM   #10
drost
Recipes 

Apr 2006
Ankeny, IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
Where is that in Ames?

I lived there from 1994-2002. It sure could have used a good brewpub then!
It's just down the street from Great Plains Sauce and Dough!

"It isn't a matter of being a beer snob. Some people think a steak from Ponderosa is a great dinner out (Budweiser). Others would rather have a filet at one of the better steakhouses (craft beer). " --Pronger750