Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What store bought "session" beer do you drink

Old 09-05-2009, 08:03 PM   #1
LarryC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default What store bought "session" beer do you drink

I'm new to brewing and relatively new to the world of craft beers (4+ years). I have developed a taste for IPA's and the more flavorful beers. However, I find that I'm not the young buck I used to be and if I drink a few too many high ABV beers it takes a toll on me. So since I'm still getting started in home brewing my inventory is low and I supplement with store bought beer (love Green Flash, Ballast Point & Stone to name a few of the locals here).

However, Id like to get some lower ABV beer that still tastes like beer so I could have a few more throughout the day without being trashed by sundown.

What are your favorite store bought session beers?

Old 09-05-2009, 09:35 PM   #2
silverbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Fullers "London Pride", or when getting "rat arsed" is not a problem, Fullers "ESB"

Old 09-05-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
Sedge
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm not sure how many of these you'll be able to find in your area, but at least some of them will be available I'm sure. Most of these beers are pretty affordable, and the breweries all have variety packs so you can have make your own decisions without buying way too much. These are in no particular order btw, off the top of my head.

Philadelphia Brewing Co.'s Kenzinger. 4.5% and a go to beer for a lot of people on otherwise BMC menu's (although more and more restaurants are stocking the myriad of products from Philadelphia area breweries) Walt Wit and Rowhouse Red are pretty good as well.

Victory Brewing Co. - everything these guys make I seem to like. A lot of them are powerful, but among the weaker there is the Uncle Teddy's Bitter (4%), Whirlwind Witbier (5%), Prima Pils (5.3% - Definitely try this one if you can), Victory Lager,

Lancaster Brewery has some real drinkable stuff in the 5% range. I like their Milk Stout (5.3%) and Amish 4-Grain Ale (5.6%).

Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA has pretty good flavor and only 6% (Although you'll be doing yourself a favor by drinking the 90 Minute...mmmm)

Yards Brewing Co.'s Ben Franklin Special Ale (5.5%), Yards Saison (6.5%), India Pale Ale (7%, maybe a little high but hey it could be a lot higher). Fun Fact: Yards Brewery is 100% wind powered and very locally/environmentally active with their ingredients and materials.

Flying Fish makes a decent ESB, and a pretty good Summer Ale, Coffee Porter

Flying Dog's Doggie Style APA, Woody Creek White, American Porter, Dogtoberfes and Old Scratch Amber Lager are all in the 5% area.

and of course there are several Sam Adams brews that are worth drinking in that range. The seasonals are generally pretty good (Summer Ale, Winter Lager). Irish Red and Cream Stout aint bad either.

Happy drinking.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:42 PM   #4
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I drank Stone Levitation Ale last night during our Fantasy Football draft. It was pretty decent, and only 4.4% abv. Not sure if that's your definition of a "session beer" but it's far lower than the 6%+ of most IPA's. Levitation is sort of an Amber/Red ale, about 45 IBU's.
Tap 4:Old Ale
Tap 5:IPA

Old 09-05-2009, 10:05 PM   #5
greencoat
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The newly revived Burger Beer is my go-to blue can. Fizzy, yellow, and actually tastes like something! $6 a 12 pack doesn't hurt either.

If I'm feeling a little less sleazy, Sammie's Boston Lager is easy to find, pay for, and drink, while being delicious. It might not gain you any 'craft cred,' but if you're not in high school it really shouldn't matter.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:16 PM   #6
gerbache
Recipes 

Levitation is definitely tasty stuff. It's a bit light in the body, but it's hopped more like an IPA.

As a summertime brew, I've enjoyed Dogfish Head's Festina Peche, but it's a very sour beer that's unlike anything else I've had, so it's not for everyone. It's amazing how refreshing a sour can be on a hot day, though.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:21 PM   #7
carbon111
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My website: http://www.carbon111.com

Fermenting: Carbon's Grizzly Bear, Young's Special London Ale (clone)

Bottled/Conditioning:Siberian Raven Winter Ale, Cherry Tree Porter, Victoria's Dirty Secret

Drinking: Montgomery Scottish Ale, Thames American Bitter, Crow's Beak Old Ale, Bastet Brown, Carbon's Cascade Ale, Red Silo Honey IPA

Old 09-05-2009, 10:39 PM   #8
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerbache View Post
Levitation is definitely tasty stuff. It's a bit light in the body, but it's hopped more like an IPA.
Yeah, exactly. That's why I thought it'd be a good choice for the OP, since he indicated a bias towards IPA's. Funny, a name like "Levitation" from a brewery like Stone conjures up the expectation of some huge bad-ass beer. But it's obviously not.

I'd be interested in trying to clone that beer as well. Like the OP there are times when I want to have 2 or 3 pints and still be fully functional. I tried brewing a Mild once (around 4%) but it didn't have a fraction of the flavor of the Levitation (4.4%). I wonder how they do it?
Tap 4:Old Ale
Tap 5:IPA

Old 09-05-2009, 10:49 PM   #9
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
What are your favorite store bought session beers?
Start a batch of Orfy's Mild Mannered Mild or similar and see what you think. Session beers are easy to make, inexpensive, and are drinkable quite young.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:25 PM   #10
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 259 Times on 186 Posts

Negra Modelo.

Maybe Pacifico if I'm on the cheap.