Jolly Pumpkin 'yeast' - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Jolly Pumpkin 'yeast'

Old 09-04-2009, 08:26 PM   #1
Synovia
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Chicago, Il
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Has anyone tried harvesting the yeast/beasties from Jolly Pumpkin?

I've got a bottle of La Roja in the fridge, and I've heard that Jolly Pumpkin's stuff all has some funk in it. Can it be harvested?

I've got a brown/red in the keezer thats pretty cloying because I used too much crystal and mashed too high, and it sounds like a good candidate to let the funk out on.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:56 PM   #2
Edcculus

Recipes 

Jun 2007
Greenville, SC
Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts

I've never tried and never specifically heard of anybody that has. They do however bottle condition, so it would be possible. I don't think they are truly spontaneously fermenting, but they do use a house cocktail of bugs.

Throw the dregs onto a stirplate and see if it takes off!

Old 09-04-2009, 09:01 PM   #3
Tonedef131

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Fort Wayne
Liked 31 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post
I don't think they are truly spontaneously fermenting, but they do use a house cocktail of bugs.
They don't claim to spontaneously ferment, they say that they "open ferment" and certainly innoculate the wort with their house blend.

As for harvesting I would say it's certainly possible. I drank a Weizen Bam a couple nights ago and it had a good 1/2" of dregs.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:59 PM   #4
Ice9

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonedef131 View Post
They don't claim to spontaneously ferment, they say that they "open ferment" and certainly innoculate the wort with their house blend.

As for harvesting I would say it's certainly possible. I drank a Weizen Bam a couple nights ago and it had a good 1/2" of dregs.

Does anyone in Fort Wayne carry any of the JP beers? I've been wanting to try them for a while now.
On Deck: Gumballhead clone, German Pilsner
Drinking: Old Ale, Bourbon Barrel Wee Heavy, Bourbon Barrel RIS

Old 09-04-2009, 10:30 PM   #5
Tonedef131

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Fort Wayne
Liked 31 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice9 View Post
Does anyone in Fort Wayne carry any of the JP beers? I've been wanting to try them for a while now.
No, their distribution is very hit or miss. I was at the brewery not that long ago and picked a few up, unfortunately since they have two brewpubs opening soon they only had 3 beers to choose from. I am going up to Ann Arbor again this weekend, if you want me to look for a specific one for you shoot me a PM. Or if you don't have anything going on Labor Day a few of us from the club are getting together at a guys house and I plan to bring one or two of them to try. I know at least a couple guys will be brewing and the rest of us will be talking beer and drinking.