Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Custom wood keg tower

Old 09-04-2009, 01:15 AM   #1
iamahomebrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Custom wood keg tower

Sound ambitious? I guess I always get in over my head. I have a Danby kegerator with the typical 2.5" diameter black single head tower. I custom built the kegerator into my basement bar cabinetry and installed my countertop over all of it it. I then drilled through and attached the tower to the countertop, re-insulated, and ran hoses - everything is good. I now want to add at least one more tap (I have been reading threads regarding that). I am bouncing around the idea of getting a reclaimed timber section of wood about 10" x 10" x 20" and coring the center and turning/sculpting a tower cover, if you will. Anybody tried this or would mind talking it though before I attempt? I really like the turned profile and detailing of the ceramic towers that are out on the retail market.

Beer Dispenser Ceramic Towers

Old 09-04-2009, 01:26 AM   #2
airmek
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahomebrewer View Post
Sound ambitious? I guess I always get in over my head. I have a Danby kegerator with the typical 2.5" diameter black single head tower. I custom built the kegerator into my basement bar cabinetry and installed my countertop over all of it it. I then drilled through and attached the tower to the countertop, re-insulated, and ran hoses - everything is good. I now want to add at least one more tap (I have been reading threads regarding that). I am bouncing around the idea of getting a reclaimed timber section of wood about 10" x 10" x 20" and coring the center and turning/sculpting a tower cover, if you will. Anybody tried this or would mind talking it though before I attempt? I really like the turned profile and detailing of the ceramic towers that are out on the retail market.

Beer Dispenser Ceramic Towers

That is an awesome idea! I had never thought of that. I have a 2.5 in tower as well. I added 2 more taps to it. Let me tell ya, that was a challenge.

Never seen anybody do what your talking tho. If you attempt it, be sure to make a Thread on it.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:31 AM   #3
homebeerbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmek View Post
That is an awesome idea!
I'll second that. Definitely post pics when you're done.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:39 AM   #4
Brooklyn-Brewtality
Four Beasts Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

sounds like it would be awesome. you could do some very cool stuff.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:14 AM   #5
iamahomebrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker_Brew View Post
sounds like it would be awesome.
well, i hope so. i am wondering about the diameter of the center core. I obviously want it to fit tight around the existing tower, but it needs to be wide enough to house maybe three heads with hose barbs. would 3" dia be enough? i see that as typical on some pipe towers.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:34 AM   #6
iamahomebrewer
Recipes 

i talked with a builder friend and scored a 10"x10"x16" timber cut-off of douglas fir at no cost (lucky). not the best for turning and shaping, but it will work. i am going to the beer supply store to pick up two new spouts. let the brainstorming begin...

Old 09-12-2009, 12:14 PM   #7
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

3" is pretty tight for multiple faucets and shanks, if you could do 4" I think you would be better off, at least for the area where the shanks connect. I'm looking forward to seeing what you build.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:50 PM   #8
jonp9576
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

ever do anything with this?

"Just remember that the real enemy here are those wine drinking pussies."-BierMuncher