Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Austin Homebrew's Belgian White Beer

Old 03-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #71
shadows69
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Second batch brewed, very happy with this recipe. Changes made are as follows: Added .25 oatmeal oats, changed to .25 sweet orange, and .25 fresh orange peals.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #72
smyrnaquince
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just trying to understand, because I am new to brewing with Pilsner malt.

Everything I've read before this thread says to boil Pilsner malts for 90 minutes to drive off DMS. For this brew, 30 minutes is the correct amount.

Does this recipe generate less DMS than one would expect, or is DMS part of the desired flavor profile for this beer?

Or is something else going one that I'm not picking up on?

Old 03-08-2012, 05:10 AM   #73
kcpup
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

All I can tell you is that I've brewed this at least 6 times all grain and twice as partial mash. Each time delicious.

Forrest (the owner of AHS) said he consulted with Pierre Celis on this recipe. It has won awards, etc.

I have heard the same concerns about pilsner and DMS. I don't doubt it.

However, I encourage you to brew the recipe as written and judge for yourself.

Cheers

Old 03-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #74
shadows69
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

U do a 60 min boil just start added hops at 30mins. A total of a 30min boil would not be enough to drive off the dms. I still think it is a 60 min boil just written to add the hops when you get to 30mins. That's my take on it.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #75
Spacepuppy
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I just brewed this up today (chilling as we speak) I ended up with about 1/2 gal too much wort so I ended up with something closer to a 90 min boil but followed the hops schedule starting with 30 min left in the boil the temp corrected gravity was 1.047 with about 5.25 gal of wort. I will be using the WPL0400 yeast and I made a 1l starter with my newly homebuilt stir plate , I will post how the beer came out with the extended boil in a few weeks.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:45 AM   #76
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I just got this AG kit in today along with their Blue Moon clone (my buddy bought that one). We are going to brew this the same day and see which one we like more.

I'm going to follow the directions exactly.

Those that have made it a few times and have said it was excellent, how long did you boil it for?

Kegged: Centennial Blonde, Dry Stout and Orange American Wheat

Bottled: Nothing

Old 04-11-2012, 02:31 AM   #77
kcpup
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22lude
I just got this AG kit in today along with their Blue Moon clone (my buddy bought that one). We are going to brew this the same day and see which one we like more.

I'm going to follow the directions exactly.

Those that have made it a few times and have said it was excellent, how long did you boil it for?
I've made this all grain kit about 4 times, the partial mash kit at least two more. My sweetheart loves witbier and I rotate through 3-4 recipes to avoid monotony within the style.

I strongly suggest you follow the recipe to the letter the first time you make it. Boil it the prescribed 30 minutes. Forrest consulted Pierre Celis on this recipe.

After making it at least 6 times before
(with delicious results), I just made my first modification when I brewed it two weeks ago: I added .5 pound of oats and added a rest at 133 to get a better adjunct mash. I really enjoy the silky effect oats provide and wanted to try this technique out after reading about it in Gordon Strong's book.

I'm carbing it up, so I'll have to wait a week or so before I can evaluate it.

You will enjoy the beer EXACTLY as prescribed in the instructions. Even with my small change I stuck to the 30 minute boil.

Cheers

Old 04-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #78
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpup

I've made this all grain kit about 4 times, the partial mash kit at least two more. My sweetheart loves witbier and I rotate through 3-4 recipes to avoid monotony within the style.

I strongly suggest you follow the recipe to the letter the first time you make it. Boil it the prescribed 30 minutes. Forrest consulted Pierre Celis on this recipe.

After making it at least 6 times before
(with delicious results), I just made my first modification when I brewed it two weeks ago: I added .5 pound of oats and added a rest at 133 to get a better adjunct mash. I really enjoy the silky effect oats provide and wanted to try this technique out after reading about it in Gordon Strong's book.

I'm carbing it up, so I'll have to wait a week or so before I can evaluate it.

You will enjoy the beer EXACTLY as prescribed in the instructions. Even with my small change I stuck to the 30 minute boil.

Cheers
That's is exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you. I'm going to follow the recipe to the T.

Out of all the batches you have done, what yeast do you like the best?

Old 04-11-2012, 12:59 PM   #79
kcpup
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22lude

That's is exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you. I'm going to follow the recipe to the T.

Out of all the batches you have done, what yeast do you like the best?
WLP400, without a doubt (or the Wyeastlab analog). The wit strain is the classic and it works well. Occasionally you need to swirl the carboy to rouse the yeast to get full attenuation. Make a starter.

I also enjoy Wyeastlab's private collection Belgian/Canadian. It's the Unibroue yeast. That is not available now. When it does come out try it in any Belgian style. Very flexible and tasty.

Cheers

Old 04-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #80
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpup

WLP400, without a doubt (or the Wyeastlab analog). The wit strain is the classic and it works well. Occasionally you need to swirl the carboy to rouse the yeast to get full attenuation. Make a starter.

I also enjoy Wyeastlab's private collection Belgian/Canadian. It's the Unibroue yeast. That is not available now. When it does come out try it in any Belgian style. Very flexible and tasty.

Cheers
Great thanks. I will give 400 a try.

Did you ferment this in the higher 60s to get rid if the sulfur smell (that I've read about) or did you ferment in the low 60s and kept it in primary a little longer?